momof4rugratz

My Zone

I am in Clinton Utah next to Salt Lake will my Zuchinni make it. I planted like 100 seeds 8 weeks ago and only 3 have sprouted and they are small :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini sprouts very fast, just a few days. Any seeds that haven't sprouted aren't going to. They also usually grow and get big very fast. Two months on you should have big plants. I don't know what happened to yours. I usually start most of my seeds, including zucchini indoors, because it's so much easier to give them a controlled environment, with lots of light (16 hrs a day) and consistent even moisture. One thing that is death to seeds/ seedlings is to ever dry out. But they also can rot out easily if they stay too wet. Did any of those things happen to yours?

momof4rugratz

hmmm it actually could be the reason why I have never grown zucchini before and the weather today is 71 from 90 yesterday. I see there is something sticking out of the 2 leaves on the zucchini. Tomorrow we are going to get small zucchini plants at garden store. My kids go thru 3 loaves of bread a week during summer I don't want to buy the stuff anymore. Last year we had a ton from friends this year I want a ton I could use them nightly...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your zucchini will make it just fine. You have plenty of time there in Clinton to mature zucchini even if you plant seed today.

Have a great garden.

momof4rugratz

thank you I see you are in Utah also I would ask but don't want seem nosey. I am sure you notice all the weird weather we are having. I am at air show right now it cant deceide between temps. I think it is reason my garden is struggling

freedhardwoods

momof4rugratz wrote:I planted like 100 seeds
I was wondering if you know how many zucchinis one plant will make. My wife loves to eat zucchini (I don't) and she has enough to give some away from only 2 plants.

momof4rugratz

I have no clue either LOL I could be fining the army lol

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Saw the U.S. weather map this a.m., strange weather indeed. They said possibility of snow in northern areas east of the rockies. Looks like medium jacket weather all through the north western part of the midwest.

momof4rugratz

Yes I woke up to snow flurries :( was 82 yesturday at the air show I got a sunburn now this my poor babies are all going to drown :( Hubby is trying hard to protect them but it is raining so much and coming down fast...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

And California can't seem to get a drop of that precious liquid. We've been mostly gray with lots of showers, thunderstorms, downpours, for several weeks now. We have needed it though, as drought has persisted for at least four of the past five years.

momof4rugratz

I will say I am not bad at gardening Mother Nature is just kicking are butts here. I just went out to the garden and the plants are all swiming except the cauliflower she is like right on top of the water. Maybe I will get lucky and the weather will warm up big time next week so I will not have to water and hope it all drys nicely...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mom, you're doing just fine with your garden!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

The weather plays a HUGE role of how successful a garden is, it doesn't matter how experienced someone is. You can control somethings, but thats not the point.

momof4rugratz

Well the sun waS OUT LIKE 20 MIN I ACTUALLY TOOK THE SHOP VAC AND SUCKED UP A FEW INCHES holding a towel over the hose so I didnt get needed soil now I just heard thunder and the sky is going dark again. DH said now it is time to stop mothering them and pray nature is good. I have done all I can..

freedhardwoods

momof4rugratz wrote:I have no clue either LOL I could be fining the army lol
When I said 2 plants was more than enough for my wife, I was trying to tell you that 100 plants would bury you in zucchinis. The only people I know that set out that many plants are commercial growers. 8)

pharmerphil

freedhardwoods wrote:
momof4rugratz wrote:I have no clue either LOL I could be fining the army lol
When I said 2 plants was more than enough for my wife, I was trying to tell you that 100 plants would bury you in zucchinis. The only people I know that set out that many plants are commercial growers. 8)
:lol:
heck when we grow two plants we go around stuffing rural mailboxes with em :wink:

momof4rugratz

I hope you all are kidding because somehow the ran let lose and this morning I woke to find zucchini plants budding thru I can count 7 buds

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

One or two producing plants will take care of the needs of a small family. One hundred plants would take care of the needs of 50-100 people.

momof4rugratz

We have 7 people who love zuchinni bread LOL will that work LOL. Maybe I can freeze it in small batchs

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”