BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Protecting Strawberry bed from birds

It seems every bird in this area is interested in the strawberries. Is there a way to protect them from the birds?
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

applestar
Mod

I use row tunnels from Gardener's Supply:
[img]https://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-Gardeners-Site/Sites-GSC_Products/default/v1242919332356/Products/37-439.jpg[/img]

Katie Brown Keep it Simple Shades purchased fro Amazon:
[img]https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417F8CAPrtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg[/img]

and the usual black plastic bird netting supported with fence and string tied from one side of the fence to the other.

Not foolproof, but better than no protection at all. :wink:

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Hey applestar that is perfect! I was also thinking, maybe some steel caging stapled to some wooden posts. Do you have to order those online, or are the in basic stores.
-Nick

applestar
Mod

I don't know if they're available elsewhere. Gardener's Supply and Amazon are where I got them on-line.

To keep catbirds and robins out, you need 1" fencing. I made a 1" wire fence rectangular cage topped with a hardwarecloth clipped on with clothespins for a little Juneberry bush. I'm planning to make something similar though a lot bigger for the blueberry bushes. Remember, they'll cling and just stick their heads in so make the cage big enough. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

protecting strawberry

I use bird netting, which you can buy in big rolls at any garden store. I recycle the frames that political campaign yard signs come on. Plant them front back and middle of my strawberry patch. Drape the bird netting over it and stake/ weight it down all around the edges (I'm keeping out birds AND ground hogs, raccoons, squirrels, possoms... so it has to be tight).

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I bought some 1" chicken wire, and some stakes, I am probably going to construct it tomorrow, I will let you guys know how it goes, Thanks for the advice.
-Nick

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”