The Black Thumb

Help, new to gardening

I decided to give gardening a go this year and man has it been tough. I couldn't plant til mid May, had to til three different times due to rain and now only about 1/3 of what was planted is up and growing. I sm seeing success with sweet Corn, bush beans and okra (about 40 plants each) and tomatoes (4 plants). Zero success with peppers and brochili(sp). Squash is doing ok, although something has cut down a few of my young squash plants right at the base of the plant. I would love to get ahold of what ever is doing that! I am going to replant some started watermelon and cantalope that as those from seed didn't start well and the same beast that is eating the squash plants may be getting them. I do have birds and squirels but not others critters.

Question, can I put some strawberries in now provided they are already started? I in the the SE (Tennessee to be exact). What else might do well this late in the game!

I did soil test with the UT Ag Extension office and followed their recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
The Black Thumb

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not so late, given your longer growing season. You can plant quicker growing things, like zucchini, beans, basil and other herbs, radish, celery, mustard and other greens, scallions, swiss chard. You can plant fall crops like winter squash, pumpkin. Later on, at the end of summer, you can plant peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, for fall crops. And no, it's not too late for the strawberries, though you probably won't be eating strawberries this year, but get them started now for next year...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And it sounds like [url=https://www.extension.org/faq/13375]cutworms[/url]; this is a good way to deal with it...

HG

The Black Thumb

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I was begining to feel like the kid picked last at dodge ball :lol: I am traveling on business now but will be at work this weekend getting something else going. I will look into the cut worms too!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”