BabyGartner

Organocide pesticide for vegetable plants--a good choice??

Yet another post.. :o I bought some pricey organocide for my veggie plantlings. I noticed aphids were attached to the undersides of my pepper leaves and as I don't have a slew of ladybugs on hand I went out and bought some Organocide pesticide. I don't want to spray anything on the plants that will harm me when it's time to harvest... plus if I can keep from polluting the planet I'd like to try. I just sprayed all of my plants yesterday and hope that the aphids and any other pests will disappear. I do hope, however, that they won't keep the bees from buzzing by and pollinating my zucchini, beans and tomatoes. :? Any suggestions on pesticides? Did I do the right thing or did I waste 11 bucks and should've bought the chemical loaded stuff? I do notice that some leaves of my beans plants get a little brownish and wrinkled, as do some baby zucchini leaves. I just don't want to kill or harm anything but I want to protect them from the slugs, bugs and nasty pests!

Cuke

I have not used that product but did look on the internet a little and it is natural and safe.Are your plants ready to harvest now?If not it should be safe to spray up to a few days or a week before harvest.I use Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap and it does not harm beneficial insects and can be used (if I remember correctly) up to three days before harvest.I don't have your product in front of me to read the label but as long as it's Organic it should be fairly safe to use.Just wait a few days before using again since you sprayed yesterday.You don't want to drown your plants in spray.

And when did you spray?If it was during the day you might have burned your plants a little.I apply my spray at night or when the sun is setting.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Organicide = fish oil + sesame oil (5% active ingredient)...sounds stinky. Neam oil might be cheaper, and it is 100% active ingredient.

You really need alot of aphids to do much damage to a tomato plant, and with a few plants you can just wipe most of them off with your thumb. Having them around will draw in the lady bugs and hover fly predators. And the predators need a certain population level to stay around because the larvae stay on the leaves feeding on the aphid herds.

BabyGartner

Thank you! It's definitely not a good smelling spray but it's not repulsive. I sprayed during the evening as directed and will probably do so when I see the little buggers again. I'm nowhere near harvest time but thought I'd protect them now. As for Safer Brand... I saw that product and it was under the Organic and Natural section but I wasn't so sure it was organic based off of the label. Is Safer Brand vegetable spray a plant and eco friendly product? That's the other thing... I don't want to kill off any good bugs (ie bees). Earthworms aren't an issue as my garden is in containers on my 2nd floor balcony. Hopefully I'm not harming the little plants and I hope they continue to flourish!!

Thanks!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”