acarbine
Newly Registered

Onions

I have a question about onions. I have some growing in my garden. The bulbs are about an inch thick now. I'm really excited. My question is about the greens. Is it ok to cut off and use the greens at this point or will that kill the bulb? Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The greens are the leaves. If you cut them off, the plant will be unable to make food for itself. The food made by the leaves is stored in the bulb, so if there is no food being made the bulb will not grow.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kisal is correct: don't take all the leaves. Sunlight + leaves = photosynthesis = plant growth.

However, I have been known to clip one or two or even three "leaves" from an onion plant and chop them up for use as scallions. Just make sure never to take more than one-third of the greenery from any plant, and on an onion be sure only to cut outer (smaller) leaves, not the inner (larger) ones.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

acarbine
Newly Registered

Thanks to both of you for your helpful information. I grew up weeding and taking care of our family garden. You would think I would know all of this. I guess I didn't pay attention well enough. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions are one of those delightful plants that you can eat at any time in its development. The thing to do with onions is plant plenty so you can have some as small green onions and also use what you need all season and have some left for storage. If you want greens, just pull the whole plant. As noted, the bulb won't get any larger if the leaves are gone.

Have you noticed that onion bulbs are layered? Each layer has its own leaf.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”