EliLeonard

Deer and rabbits

I am looking for natural deer and rabbit deterrents. We have quite a large deer population in our little 1/2 acre of Pittsburgh, and they already ruined my tulips this spring.

Any suggestions for plants I can plant to get them to shift their path away from my veggies? I don't want to drive them away per say, just don't want 'em eating my veggie and herbs.

Thanks,
Eli

Peterjay

Eli, if you have a relatively small area to protect, the Electronic Scarecrow should solve your problem. (one unit is probably enough) It's a motion-activated sprinkler that will give anything that moves a good splattering. (including you, if you forget it's turned on) Works like a charm on deer. Probably bunnies too, if you point the sensor low enough to detect them. It goes for around $60+- at Amazon.com, or you can buy it directly from the manufacturer. Once the critters get zapped a few times, they'll be leery of entering the area, which is a plus if you forget to turn it on. You can try all the sprays and tricks you hear about, but none of them really work all that well, and some of the sprays are enough to make you vomit. Deer in residential areas are used to the presence of humans, pets, etc., so the old tricks of spreading dog or human hair or coyote urine around is a waste of time. I have seven dogs, including a couple of ferocious deer-haters, and the deer just wait in the brush for the dogs to go inside, then it's off to the races. They're still a nuisance, but at least the scarecrow keeps the vegetables safe.

EliLeonard

Thanks Peter! I'll have to try that! I've never heard of those before.

I have an Akita and a Lab and they still don't stay away, so I understand about the dogs.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to look into it!

Sincerely,
Eli

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”