Pebbles

what don't slugs and snails eat?

Hi all

All my beans have been eaten now in my planters outside the greenhouse. I dug some out a few days ago and planted them inside the greenhouse so that they do not get eaten.

Does anybody have any advice on what I can plant in my outside tubs that can grow tall that slugs and snails will not eat?

EliLeonard

Try putting up low lying boards around your garden on a tilt. They will go under the board during the day and you can scoop 'em up and get rid of them.

You can also toss pennies or put a small row of copper tubing around your plants. The copper will shock them and kill them off.

Best of Luck,
Eli

Pebbles

Eli - Thanks sweetie - I have actually heard of putting copper around and I think I will do that.

Pennies? never heard of that but I assume it is copper and that is why you suggested it.

Thank you for your reply. It means allot to me :lol:

2cents
Green Thumb

I hear they really don't like coffee grounds

Pebbles

Oh that's a new one on me too. I'll try anything to get rid of them.

I have noticed that where ever I have planted leeks and spring onions, I don't see any slugs or snails there.

So much to learn. This is my first year at growing veg and I am taking on board all your helpful advice.

I'm not sure whether it is too late to plant more onions this year but next time, I will make sure that I plant them all round my beans and peas etc. Thanks for your reply.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type slugs into the little search box in upper left of most pages. It will bring up all the info in this whole forum on them. There's a ton of stuff about getting rid of slugs, what works, what didn't work....

applestar
Mod

EliLeonard wrote:Try putting up low lying boards around your garden on a tilt. They will go under the board during the day and you can scoop 'em up and get rid of them.
I have a board that I set up for this purpose, but there's never any slugs -- what there is, is a mole hole. I do believe somebody else "scoops 'em up" and "gets rid of them" BEFORE I can get to them! :lol: Dine away, moles!
Pebbles wrote:I have noticed that where ever I have planted leeks and spring onions, I don't see any slugs or snails there.
Well, I would've thought they wouldn't eat garlic either, but there's always one or two on the garlic greens and they're slowly turning yellow. At first I thought they needed water or were nutrient deficient. :roll:

Pebbles

Thanks rainbow, I'll go check out the search box.

applestar, I wouldn't have thought they would go near garlic either. Maybe I should get myself a mole :wink:

Thanks again for your replies.

2cents
Green Thumb

Pebbles
If you need a few moles, your welcome to come to my place and dig as many as you can handle. It would make the lawn more very happy :D

Pebbles

2cents thanks for the offer but I don't think they would get on very well with my cats :lol:

ecofarmer

Slugs and snails need some rock salt in the grass a few feet back.

Most of the time moles are eating the grubs in the ground. If you kill off there food supply they will go away.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I never saw a snail or slug here until about ten years ago, and then just started seeing a few. Must have brought them in from nursery stock. Today was my first day ever, mounting any kind of attack on the critters. I was policing up containers and lifted a clay pot that was nestled inside a second clay pot. There were about 20 snails between the two pots. I did a little exploring and found that anywhere I have clay pots or rounded large broken fragments piled, the snails gather in large numbers. Also, found that where my planters stand on short one inch feet, creating a small space underneath, the snail love to hang out. So first of all I went to all of those locations and collected snails, at least 100 or more. The next part of my strategy is going to be placing clay pots or curved fragments, curve down, in and around my beds. I'll make rounds every couple of days and harvest the slugs and send them to a salty death. I may also place a few covered beer traps and see how effectively that works.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Slug soup anyone?

Half fill container with water, add fertilizer, include enough slugs to give a nice chunky consistency.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3627/3597763053_f773805bba.jpg[/img]

Peterjay

Alex, that's the most repulsive thing I've seen since my ex-wife packed her bags and headed off into the night. I hope you're not thinking about opening a restaurant. :shock:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The photo doesn't do the nasty concoction justice.

Earl K
Green Thumb

That is just gross Alex :) I don't like touching things like that.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”