Bob

Hey 51,

Anybody can grow an onion that's already half grown. Part of the joy of gardening is starting from scratch. I never liked to buy plants of any kind or onion “sets.â€

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good on ya, Bob, and thanks for sharing! :D

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Those are the three P's of gardening aren't they? That's what makes it a year round project!
Just a note Bob, when you are putting your plastic over your plants, make sure there is enough room for the plastic not to touch your plants. Plastic only acts as an insulator if there is air between it and the plant. If it is touching the plant, and cold or frost hits, it will freeze where the plastic touches it.
If it is frost and cold temperatures you are protecting from, a better suggestion would be remay cloth, a woven cloth, that lets the sun and the rain in, but insulates from the cold. Also if it touches your plants, they won't freeze. 8)
Just a thought. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good advice everyone, good advice.

Bob, given the fact that I have limited indoor space for seed starting, I can only start so many seeds indoors and when I plant onion seed directly into my garden, I have very low germination so, for that reason I have chosen to use sets. Though, this variety that Val has me hooked on (Chelsea) really intrigues me and when a plant reall intrigues me, I clear some books off one of my shelves and try growing it.

So we do what we can do.

Happy Gardening, I know that I am having fun, growing my seedlings, planting more fava beans, working the soil and so on.

Bob

I have my cages Val, that I will be planting my tomatoes in. I plan on draping my plastic over the cages and spread out some at the ground. My cages are 20 inches in diameter and five feet tall. Hardly any chance of my plants touching the plastic. By the time they start to grow out of the sides of my cages, the weather will be warm and the plastic will come off.

I plan on using the black plastic as a ground cover. That should absorb the sun’s heat and warm the soil during the day.

Bob

Hey folks,

Here’s the latest report on my onion plants. Thanks to y’all, I've been very successful in growing the best, stoutest and vigorous onion plants I've ever had this season.

Starting the seed in January indoors in deep flower pots was my good idea, and 51’s suggestion to put them under a good plant light, turned out to be the “ticketâ€

Bob

All 5 of my onion varieties did well from seed this year. Some were better than others. The two best varieties so far are “Candyâ€

Amigatec
Newly Registered

I have a little mini greenhouse, and I have found that you need to keep a fan blowing blowing around inside, it helps to make the plants stronger, and they get used to growing in the wind.

I might add that the reason the vandalia onions are so sweet is because of the sulfur content of the soil around Vandalia Georgia. You can grow the same oinions as Vandalia but they will not be the same.

DAnderson

Amigatec wrote:I might add that the reason the vandalia onions are so sweet is because of the sulfur content of the soil around Vandalia Georgia.
I've always wondered why some onions were sweet & others were so hot you can't eat them. As a child, I remember eating onions like we eat apples. They were so sweet. Do the garden centers have sulfur that can be applied to the garden? I'd love to be able to grow sweet onions!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”