Henryj

Winter Onions, walking onions

Hello My son gave me a strange looking plant looks like onion growing on top of the ground I was told to plant the stim in the ground and thy would grow I think that I have a winter onion My question can I plant this now or wait until winter??? Thank you Henryj

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here is an information sheet about winter onions, also known as walking onions:

https://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/onion1.html

Henryj

Thank you for your reply!! I found a Multiplier onion this looks alot like what I have but so do the walking onion I guess I will wait until Augest and plant what every I have wish I could send you pic. but I am not very good at that talk later Henryj

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Walking onions, so called because they have these little bulbils on top of the leaves and when they fall down, the bulbils send down roots and the plant "walks". Any way, the thing to do with these is when you get a whole bunch of these little bulbils on top, just clip them all and then separate them and go plant them in a row. Push in an onion about every 2 inches in the row. When these come up and grow you will have loads of fresh green onions. Enjoy! Oh ya, they are winter hardy. Keep a parent clump where it can stay the winter. Yes plant it now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”