BradyBones

Seed - Who Are You?!

So, as a small child I remember finding these seeds, they are very plentiful around here in this part of Northern Utah. I know that the birds eat them and then they come falling from the sky and collect where the rain gutter dumps into the lawn.

Now, from a conversation I had with my father when I was probably around 4 years old (yes, I really do remember 25 years ago - though somewhat vaguely) I got the impression that these were some kind of fennel, and my father had the impression that they would be edible. Then again, this is the same guy who told me that rabbit poop really was cocoa puffs when I was two years old and laughed when I ate it.

All joking aside, can anyone help me identify this mystery seed?

[img]https://ourgreenadventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Seed-WhoAreYou.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's fennel. It looks quite a bit larger than the fennel seed I have.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "they come falling from the sky." :?: They don't look like they could be wind-borne seeds. Maybe they are, though. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

BradyBones

:twisted: The birds eat them and then poop them out. They land on the roof and when it rains they wash down the spouts. Sorry, I was just trying to be clever.

Pebbles

:shock: Your father actually let you eat some rabbit poop??????

If that had happened to me, I would have waited until I was old enough to cook and collected some more rabbit poop, baked a pie, gave him a piece and told him it was soya bean mince. Ha ha ha :twisted: Only joking.

No idea what the seeds are, why not try planting a few and see what happens?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Russian Olive

BradyBones

Gah! That makes so much sense now! Russian olives are ALL OVER THE PLACE! They truly are an invasive plant around these parts.

Thanks for answering this question for me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”