Mike_M
Newly Registered

Question about Asparagus

I am trying to grow my first row of asparagus this year. I did as instructed by our local garden expert, plant in 12" trench, spread out roots, cover as they grow. Well, I now have only two, thin stalks growing. I expected they would grow uniformly, so I could cover them in such a way. I have been trying to bury these stalks, but they have gotten tall enough that it is not possible to fully cover them. Should I just cut them down, let them grow as is, or is there another solution? I realize I will not see a usable harvest until year 2 or 3. I don't want to do something that would kill or damage what is growing.

2cents
Green Thumb

:D Asparagus take lots of patience. I am not an expert, just have some practical experience.

Since you are in Iowa, you must have good soil. I would continue as instructed or just fill the trench all rest of the way with sand. They will come up through sand easier, although it isn't necessary. Just don't put too much clay or wood mulch on them.

They do not grow uniformly. And the roots do not wake up at the same time. First year they must be watered to get good root growth.

One-three ferns per crown the first year. Second won't be much better. After they turn yellow in the fall. Fertilize, I use horse or cow.

Good luck

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just water and watch. Cover them this fall after the frost hits, or at least wait until they are all up a foot tall. They will grow a tall fern this summer. Just how tall depends on the size of the crowns you planted and your soil fertility. The ferns get six feet or more tall when a few years old, but will not get that big this year.

gone cuttin

Here is a link to one of the more interesting university papers on the aspargus topic.
[url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html]Growing aspargus in the home garden[/url]

My bed is 4 or 5 years old and for the most part I have followed the suggestions in the paper and am very happy with the results.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”