James282
Cool Member

planting just 1 of something

So, I was talking to a neighborhood gardener and she said in reference to some plant(don't remember now which), "They are nice because they will still bear fruit if you plant just 1 of them. They are self-pollinating."

So, I have a lone eggplant given to me by a friend and a lone zucchini plant since I heard they are so prolific. The other plants in the neighborhood are tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, celery, lettuce, and bush beans. Will my lone zucchini and eggplant feed me, or do they need some friends more like them?

Thanks!

James

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I can't give you a technical response, but I can give you my experience with zukes.

When I grew one zucchini plant, I didn't get enough squash to make me happy.

When I grew two zucchini plants, I had way more than enough.

I don't think it had anything to do with pollination; I suspect the action of Murphy's Laws...

The male flowers will appear on the zucchini plants ahead of the female flowers. Once the female flowers begin to appear, you can give Nature an assist by transferring pollen from male flowers to females with a small paintbrush, Q-tip, or other device. This is what the bees and other pollinators do in their meanderings: transfer pollen back and forth while they seek nectar.

I hope you get LOTS of zucchini! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

James282
Cool Member

Thanks very much :)

I actually have 2 zucchini plants, but they are on opposite sides of the house. Both have grow robustly(though there is no fruit just yet). I hope I get tons as well - the wife works wonders with the stuff!

James

freedhardwoods

I don't know about eggplant, but 1 zucchini plant should give you lots of zucchinis. We always plant at least 2 of anything though because if you have 1 and something happens to it, you're out of luck.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Both should do OK alone. The eggplant will be fertilized by the wind shaking the flowers. They are complete flowers and self fertile.
The zuke has already been addressed.

James282
Cool Member

thanks, folks :)

James

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”