opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Purple and Red Potatoes

I have for a long time recommended growing potatoes (and for that matter any vegetable) that is "not normal." In particular I have been pushing for purple potoatoes and have been curious about red and blue potatoes.

Well, I just found two excellant reason to grow Purple and Red potatoes (these are potatoes where the flesh and skin of the potatoe is purple or red). The first is that Purple and Red potatoes are loaded with antioxidants (or which, I am not going to list off) except for one: Anthocyanin. And the anthocyanin contained within is also a protectrate aganst potatoe blight.

Therefore, if you live in an area where blight is a problem, try growing a purple or red variety of potatoe. And if you don't live in a blight stricken area, grow them anyway. They add a splash of colour to the dinner table, are conversation piece and as previiously said: they are loaded with antioxidants (at least six different antioxidants (not going to list them)) and are resistant to blight.

By the way, the fungus that causes blight is called Phytophthera infestans

Grey
Greener Thumb

Fun! I was thinking about trying out the Blue potatoes either this year or next. I hadn't heard of purple.

Are the red ones like New potatoes? I LOVE those, all cut up in a stir-fry pan with some onions, a dash of rosemary.... mmmmmmm.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have to admit that I have (to date) only found the purple ones but, I am eternally looking for the blue and red potatoes.

Hey Grey, maybe we could arrange a trade or something if you have the blue guys. That would be cool.

Grey
Greener Thumb

It would indeed. Now, to find 'em, that is the question.

Incidentally, I just got a trade magazine in my PO box - the one I have used to be for a garden center and they moved out of it. So I am more than happy to peruse the catalogs for a day before I take the stuff down to them. lol! So if there's anything interesting, I'll let them know, and they can order it for me. ;)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The other reason to grow these is they are the original potatoes, so you are helping preserve the genetics of potatoes everywhere. Check places where you normally find seed taters; they are getting to be easier to find... (I have seen them at Agway stores in our area...)

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I just got my McFayden seed catalogue in the mail, and they have potato called "All Red" that is totally red, a purple called "Russian Blue" that is totally purple, and a french fingerling with a yellow and red swirl. Those are the only ones I've seen. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

McFayden, do they have a website? I'd like to order some of those potatoes. I'll look them up on the internet.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

McFayden's website is www.McFayden.com.
They are based in Manitoba, Canada. Let me know what they are like if you order them. :wink:
Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Val, I have sent them a note asking for a catalogue.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Right on! :wink:

Val

Bob

When are they going to hybridize any kind of potato that's resistant to the Colorado potato beetle?

Here in South Jersey, it's a waste of time to grow any kind of potato, the beetles come all the way from Colorado to devour the plants then do a number on my tomatoes when their finished with the potatoes. Eggplant is another guarantee of potato beetle infestation around here. If I avoid planting potatoes and eggplant, I hardly have any problems with the buggers.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, to successfully hybridize two potatoes they would need to find one heirloom strain that was resistant to potatoe beetles first. But, there wouldn't be much point in hybridizing two potatoes when one is already resistant to the pest.

I did a quick search on google for plants that repel potatoe beetles and couldn't find anything. You may wish to try and find a beneficial insect that preys on the potatoe beetle. Check out the beneficial insects thread in the organic section.

Bob

I've decided that potatoes aren't worth my effort here, like I said, when I grow potatoes or eggplant, I have problems with the beetles on my tomatoes also, if I avoid the former two, I hardly ever have a beetle problem.

My neighbor insist on growing eggplant, so I still do get a few migrants from time to time, but nothing outrageous.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Grow what you can.

If you have a huge problem with potatoe beetles and beetles in other solanaceous plants then, not growing them would probably be a good idea.

I think that you've made a wise choice Bob. My reference to blight is to the fungus Phytophthera infestanse(sp?) so, the all read and all blue potatoes would not be resistant to potatoe beetles.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”