hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Three squash plants

Started about 8 weeks before the last frost and transplanted into the ground on approximately April 22nd. We have now eaten squash every day for the past four or five days and the plants are staying ahead of us. This photo is the inventory after having grilled squash on fajitas at lunch. The first two nights we had the squash lightly stir fried with onions in olive oil. Next we had sliced squash cooked lightly with onions and bread crumbs with swiss cheese mixed in on top. Today we had a medley of grilled veggies, including squash, on our four tortillas. Next, I guess will be a decadent squash casserole, with cream of mushroom soup, bread crumb and chese topping. Then we will likely be exporting all of the squash except for maybe six to serve a couple of days per week. Anyone have a different way the prepare the squash, so as not to get tired of having the veggie.

I'm picking the squash while very young this year. Will see if that keeps the vines going a little longer.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3560292914_4b51a2422d.jpg[/img]

green~acres

Your squash pic is making my mouth water.We had bees on the squash and cucumbers this morning. so I guess it wont be long before we have fresh squash. I put a couple of squash recipes in the recipe folder, if any of you would like to look.
Julie

2cents
Green Thumb

Jealous is not the word :evil:
All that on 3 plants, someone is shining down on you.

Try cubing them, whole kernal corn, and a little cauliflower(cauliflower chop fine or start first) together in a little grape seed oil, three eggs to get them to hold together a little, then blue cheese or a sharp swiss over top cover and remove from heat for melting the cheese.

Also try, foil on the grill or in oven > anyway you like to cut your yellow squash, fresh spinach chopped, chopped onion, garlic and fine sliced radishes. This combination is also good with mushrooms on a griddle. It is an excellent dish or can be slathered over a favorite meat or on quesadillas with cheese of course.

Instead of bread crumbs try cornmeal to give the soft squash a little grit.

kylie77

Wow, they look just lovely! Mmmmm

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Squash quit getting pollinated for a week or so, but are back on track. Same three vines gave this harvest today and are loaded with more small squash.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3593080167_16e677d06e.jpg[/img]

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

mmmm, those look so good. Are those summer crookneck / straightneck Alex? I have some of those just starting in the ground only they are the bumpy variety. All that from three plants, that is awesome. There's got to be a secret :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Squash are monster plants when growing healthy. I've seen plants stretching five feet across with each bearing enough squash to feed two or three families. Mine don't do so well in this sandy yard, but this year they are doing very well and producing like crazy. I dumped all of my yellow squash seeds into one bag. So although I think that these are all crook neck, I guess there could be some straight neck seeds in the mix as well.

Ninelives

Very nice, I can't wait till ours is ready to pick, just babys at this time.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I've had a few grubs attack some of my squash in recent years, how do you prevent them from burrowing into the pumpkins. At least I think it was grubs.

Juliedia
Newly Registered

Both zucchini bread and zucchini cakes can be made with squash instead of zucchini. Great picture...they're better looking than those ones in the grocery that they coat with wax!

The Black Thumb

I just started picking squash this week. I have 6 plants. I am letting my squash get out twice the size of yours and it looks like I will be picking about everyother day at least a couple of squash per plant. :D I'll try to get some pics sometime, I see that they liven up the posts!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”