When I looked at my raised bed garden this morning, I noticed that overnight mushrooms appeared all over the bed. I am trying to figure out what to do about it and if I need to do anything to my soil. Is the soil as it is now good enough for my vegetables or do the mushrooms indicate a major problem? They look a little scary with the white stems and black tops.
A little history about my raised bed: it's my first attempt at gardening and I prepared it in March this year. I removed the grass from the area first, then added a combination of top soil, peat moss, and compost that I bought together with an open bag of old top soil I had neglected for a year or so in a plastic container, which was wet. I probably shouldn't have used it, because it had a very unpleasant smell to it, but I added it anyway to add more volume to the soil. Maybe wasn't such a good idea.
Any suggestions on how to create the right soil conditions for my vegetables would be greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of the invading mushrooms: