hippygrassgirl

what to plant beside what for max growth .

hi i cant remember is it okay to plant tomatoes beside cucumber plants? and tomatoes beside strawberry plants? i know there is somthing you shouldnt plant beside tomatoes...... mabey its onions? also i am a renter and i want to plant fruit plants but want to take them with me when i leave (2 years) and i would like to have fruit this year , what should i plant? i already have strawberrys and rasberrys?? please help? :shock: i wont hold my breath till a reply but i am kinda running out of time..... spring is here!! thanks and godbless
Im a dirty girl......cause im always in my garden,lol!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tomato companions

cucumbers are one of the recommended plants for putting with tomatoes. Onions scattered around amongst most things help repel pests. Here's one list:

https://gardening.about.com/od/totallytomatoes/qt/Tomato-Companions.htm
Plants Recommended for Companion Planting with Tomatoes: amaranth, asparagus, basil, bean, calendula (pot marigold), carrots, celery, chive, cleome, cosmos, cucumber, garlic, lemon balm, lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, parsley, peas, sage, stinging nettle and sow thistle.

Amaranth helps repel insects.
Basil repels insects and disease, improves growth and flavor. Repels mosquitoes and flies (even fruit flies).
Bee balm, chives, mint and parsley improve health and flavor. Use dill early since mature dill starts to inhibit tomato growth.
Carrots planted near tomatoes may not get as large as they should, but they’ll still taste good.
Garlic repels red spider mites. Garlic sprays help control late blight.
Stinging nettle nearby improves taste.
Sow thistle aids growth.

Other than what you have already, I'm having a hard time thinking of any fruit you can plant now and have fruit this year. Some dwarf blueberries are good for containers, so you could take it with you when you move. If you start with a well grown plant, you might get a few berries this year, but better next year.

hippygrassgirl

thankyou so much this has been very helpfull! and im sure i will have enough pickings for my toddlers from the strawberrys and rasberrys. thanxs again Rainbowgardner.
Im a dirty girl......cause im always in my garden,lol!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”