Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Monsanto genetically engineered seeds

I"m not sure if you all know about this or not, so here is the story. Monsanto has a patent on genetically engineered seeds. After the plants grow and produce new seeds the seeds will not grow. You are "FORCED" to buy new seeds every years. This makes Monsanto RICH. Do a web search for Suicide Seeds or Terminator seeds you can read all about it.

Monsanto has some other nasty tricks up their sleeve. It is a known fact that Pollen from plants grown from Monsanto genetically engineered seeds can blow over into another farmers field contaminating that farmers crop. When that farmer sells his crop it is tested, and if it contains genes from Monsanto genetically engineered seeds then Monsanto demands the farmer pay them a fee. There are 100s of law suite all over the USA where farmers are being suited by Monsanto demanding to be paid the fee and farmers counter sueing Monsanto for contaminating their crop. I saw this on TV last week and you can read about it online. When Monsanto contaminates all the plants and seeds in the USA then they can demand everyone in the USA pay them a fee. The Rick get Richer, how much is enough, greed, power and corruption controls the world. I will never buy Monsanto seeds if I can help it. I don't have a problem with Monsanto making genetically engineered seeds, but they don't have the right to contaminate the rest of the world then hold us all hostage.

Several countries have outlawed the sale of Monsanto seeds in their country. India has banned the sale Monsanto products in their country.

I check all the seeds I buy to make sure the seeds did not come from Monsanto. They can market their seeds under a different name and we will buy them and not know it. Actually I think Monsanto is targeting farmers that is where the big money is.

https://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,990111,00.html

https://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0126-07.htm
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pensacola jim

Wow!! that's terrible, what is this world coming to

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

it's been kicked around here a few times but I love seeing it come up. Your suicide seed comment in the other thread was hilarious.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't have a problem with it. Should all of the people that develop/produce seed for such things as seedless watermelons, naval oranges, and the new seedless tomatoes be persecuted just bcause you can't plant seeds from those fruits? And consider hybrid seeds; should we go after the breeders with pitchforks because the seed from those plants won't grow out to be the same high quality as the parent hybrid plant? What about the orchid breeders who spend decades (it takes some orchids 5-7 years from seed to bloom) to develop special varieties and then put plant patents on them to prevent other companies from tissue culturing millions of identical plants and flooding the market.

Monsanto put alot of time and money into breeding productive and disease resistant varieties. Varieties that will make farmers MORE MONEY than other varieties. If the seed cost cuts into the farmer's profit too much the farmer will simply plant a different variety from another company. Is Monsanto forcing people to buy and grow their seeds? If governments are forcing their farmers to grow only Monsanto seeds then the problem is with those governments.

dahoss2002

Monsanto's biggest efforts come with their soybean and corn being very resistant to herbicides. That way the farmers can spray more poison on our food wothout killing the plant. OHHHHHH BOY! At least we can grow our own corn for eating and who needs soybeans anyway.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Under Monsanto seed agreement you are NOT allowed to carry over seed from your previous crop... Not even if your NON GMO seed has been cross pollinated and found to now carry the Monsanto genetics... If you do and you are caught... plan to spend a lot of time in civil court and more than likely lose a lot of dough... Something needs to be done about the cross pollination issue... what a fiasco that is... just look up canola and monsanto cross pollination.. that fellow has been in court for over a decade in Canada...

Terminator seed is nothing new. Farmers accept this when they sign the seed agreement every spring when buying seed that contains Monsanto genetics... You MUST sign the agreement before any seed dealer will sell you seed...

Really only pertinent to crops such as soybeans and canola... for which you can replant from old seed.

Monsanto has a lot of contraversy and a lot of practices many don't agree with. But they have a lot of money and lawyers and are willing to throw it around with impunity. They offer a lot but take a lot in return... They must be held in check lest they become a monster that REALLY gets out of control
Last edited by rootsy on Fri May 22, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rootsy
Green Thumb

dahoss2002 wrote:Monsanto's biggest efforts come with their soybean and corn being very resistant to herbicides. That way the farmers can spray more poison on our food wothout killing the plant. OHHHHHH BOY! At least we can grow our own corn for eating and who needs soybeans anyway.
Double edged sword... Not particulary fond of chemical herbicides but on the same token I don't want nor can I spend countless hours cultivating crops burning diesel fuel. We can go back and farm like it is 1955 again but food prices will escalate astronomically... A small garden is quite different from a 300 acre field...

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You might want to go back to 1855, or 1755. In 1955 they used all kinds of nasty chemicals to feed the world... DDT, Lead Arsenate... but then again how many MILLIONS of people starved to death in the Irish potato famine for want of the invention of Daconil?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think the Irish potato famine is a classic example of the dangers of monoculture, not of anything else.

The phytophthora which killed the potatoes was deadly to the specific variety of spuds the Irish had planted. Which is why 100% of the crop failed.

Growing even three or four varieties would have been good prevention against starving, dying, and the Great Hunger.

Cynthia H. (Murphy ancestry here)
El Cerrito, CA

rootsy
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:You might want to go back to 1855, or 1755. In 1955 they used all kinds of nasty chemicals to feed the world... DDT, Lead Arsenate... but then again how many MILLIONS of people starved to death in the Irish potato famine for want of the invention of Daconil?
Majority of row crop farming used quite a bit of conventional tillage and cultivation vs chemicals prior to the 70's when no-till became more popular. Sure chemicals were used pre-emerge or pre-plant and some post-emergence. But nothing of the scale today. Farming has evolved leaps and bounds when compared to early / mid 20th century practices.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”