Pypersmom

Sugar Ants?

So far I've been pretty lucky with the pest population in my garden... but I've noticed that I do have little ants hanging out with my Okra. They look like what we call 'sugar ants' but I'm afraid I don't know what the technical name for them is!

What do I need to use to make them go away? I'd like to stick to the organic options if possible.

Thanks!

mikeingeorgia

Hey, I have them here in GA too. They tend to congregate around the Hummingbird feeder but don't ever seem to cause any trouble or bite so I don't ever worry about them. Are they hurting the plants? If not I don't think I'd even get concerned, just let them do whatever it is they do.

somegeek

Pypersmom wrote:So far I've been pretty lucky with the pest population in my garden... but I've noticed that I do have little ants hanging out with my Okra. They look like what we call 'sugar ants' but I'm afraid I don't know what the technical name for them is!

What do I need to use to make them go away? I'd like to stick to the organic options if possible.

Thanks!
Odorous ants. We have them in our home during the cold months. They like to consume Terro Ant Killer (syrup type). 8) In my yard, I disregard them. On my counter, they need to be eliminated.

Pypersmom

I'll take a closer look this evening but I don't recall there being any damage to the plants.

And I suspose if they are cool just hanging out, I'll let them be :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have lots of ants in my garden. They don't hurt anything.

applestar
Mod

Well, they don't eat anything themselves -- they sometimes crawl inside flowers to lick up nectar. Some plants exude sweet sap -- like peony flower buds. They way they DO damage your garden is by "herding" aphids. They tend them, carry them around and put them "out to pasture" -- on your vegetables, fruit trees, and prize roses -- and defend them from aphid predators so they can "milk" them for their "honeydew" -- drops of sweet liquid exuded from their behind. :evil:
Any noticeable ant activity usually signifies aphid infestation, especially if you see them marching up and down a plant. That said, they're also part of nature's clean-up crew. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”