faithful4ever

This weather is frustration

The rain, the wind, and the cold, Iam about to pull my hair out. I've planted some tomatoes and have seedling growing in my small green house, I haven't even finished getting the rest of my fruit and vegtables in the ground. the ground has been wet for weeks. I just hope this will pass soon and the four tomatoes and strawberries I have in the ground will survive. In times like these I wish I lived in california.please let me know how everyone else is coping around the southeast? :cry: :x :(

rootsy
Green Thumb

Vegetables don't really go in the ground until mid - late May up here and the weather appears to be breaking... A whole lot of field corn that has been flooded out or hasn't even gone in the ground yet in the corn belt... been a rough spring all around... My first sweet corn spiked earlier this week... had 31 degrees yesterday morning and frost on the ground... toasted the tips but it should grow out of it just fine... Started planting tomatoes last night... hopefully finish up tonight and move on to peppers... I'll wait another week before transplanting the melons... Need to build and stabilize the ground temp...

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah I don't have much going on right now either. Waiting for the temps to stay consistant and the wind to die down. I have strawberries that came up from last year. So I built a box and planted the strawberry runners in that. Beside the strawberries I have Wong Bok, Red Onions, Bok Choy, Carrots (mixed), Radishes (asian and cherry), Potatoes. Not as much as I would like to do right now. I have some many pepper tomato plants I want to get planted...not to mention squash. I also want to get my leeks planted.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

LOL. I feel your pain the weather sucks here too. We have had 2 months of rain. We had a break in the weather a month ago 3 days of 88 degree temperature. I got my garden planted then. My potatoes are about 2 ft tall and doing fine. My whole garden has been under several inches of water several times several days in a row but to my suprise the tomatoes are doing fine and my corn all came up through that water. Okra came up but after setting under water for several days it all died so I replanted it a few days ago now the temperature has dropped to 36 degree at night too cold to sprout. Squash never came up in 2" of water but that is ok I have squash in pots I can transplant later. My beans are spotty a few beans hear and there not many came up under water I will replant later. No big deal. One year I did not plant the garden until the 3rd week of June and it did fine.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue May 19, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Its just hard getting the plants outside, again today we had constant 35 mph winds gusting to 42....ugh (yes 42!). Tomorrow's the same way...then finally we are down to 10-15 mph, can anyone else relate to this wind? It is usually like this every spring, but I never noticed it this bad. I need to harden them off, I'm glad I have a "makeshift" cold frame...I've been just putting them in there. I mean you don't even want to be outside when its that windy not unless you want to fly like the birds. I feel for ya with the rain, I think we need some rain here....but its coming so...

elevenplants

Yes, it's been the freakiest, wettest, coolest spring I can remember in a long while....if ever! I've had my spring garden in since February, and somehow, through lots of attention and dedication, we have harvested many onions, greens, radishes, and the carrots and beets are starting to come in. A few weeks ago during a relative 'dry' spell, I got my beans and squash in the ground, and although slow, they are finally all up, the cucumbers, eggplants, peppers and tomatoes are all in and doing well, and it looks like POSSIBLY we might get some real spring/early summer weather coming up this week. Maybe it will start a trend! :lol:

Rebecca

Kenzie

Same here! :evil:

We've had 3 (almost 4) straight weeks of heavy rain and severe storms. We now have a crack in our garage floor due to the back corner washing out from all the rain, 2 cracks in our driveway AND our house was struck by lightning last week during a storm and now has a huge hole blown into the brick where it exited to the metal fence post. Luckily, my garden has excellent drainage so my tomatoes, corn, and spinach are all fairing nicely. The only downside is that now it's completely covered over in weeds!
I'm a little peeved that I didn't get my squash, cukes, melons, peppers, and everything else in the ground back in late April but nothing I can do about it now. We're in a 3 or 4 day break right now and I'm running around like a mad women trying to get my garden done before another solid week of rain hits. I've been watching the weather channel.com 10 day forecast and the rain was supposed to hold off till Sunday...now it's predicted to start Friday! It just keeps closing in on what precious little time I have...LOL
Can you sense my frustration through my rambling? :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”