momof4rugratz

Peas Please :)

I wasnt sure these babies where going to get peas but wow look at them go. I wonder how long tell we can eat them. I need a good recipe for these :) Do you all see them. My daughter loves peas and wants to eat them now lol.

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/Garden5-18-09012.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/Garden5-18-09014-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/Garden5-18-09015.jpg[/img]

tspilcher
Newly Registered

I think I have somthing close to that in my garden. Mine are like 3 ft tall and not producing anything yet. I have to find something for them to climb on becase they are growing past my wire that I have up for them. Hopefully I have some soon!!! Yours looks great

momof4rugratz

I was suprised to even see these we have 39 peas lol no clue when to even start picking them any help there please. are weather is bad 70 one day 85 next. News said it was 15 degrees over normal.... not sure peas will do good here soon. I think u should get something for them climb on I bet u see peas then. my kids cant wait lol

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if those are snap peas, edible-pod ones, pick them when they've fattened up a bit but before they're totally cylindrical. they aren't quite as tender when the seeds are full-grown.

tspilcher
Newly Registered

I would pick one that you think looks done and try it. Don't let the kids see you pick, then they will pick when your not looking and then you won't have any left. LOL My kids are trying so hard to pick my Asian snap peas...I have to watch them very close when we are out in that area. :D I am going to put up more wire so I can see how tall these are going to get. It is fun doing this. I started most of my garden with seeds. so this is all new to me how everything grows so quickly!!

momof4rugratz

I will try that tonight. I am going to water it is 8pm yet is hot. Do you think my peas will make it the next few weeks it is like hot cold hot cold :(

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Peas are a cool-weather crop. We had a hot spell in early April (high 90s and some 100s) and another one this past weekend here in northern California.

In April, my peas decided they had had enough and "went for it"--I noticed them getting very fat, as opposed to the snow-pea/snap-pea look and sweetness. I harvested every one of the pods that had *not* gotten fat, and we ate them that night.

The next morning, the remaining pods had started to dry out.

I wouldn't wait too long to harvest the peas. If they're still sweet, you might just want to eat them raw, out of hand. Mine were *that* sweet!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

momof4rugratz

How can I save them. I mean can I have them for the winter. Right now I have tons peas in cans we are hoping save peas for winter months when the snow is to thick to drive in :(

applestar
Mod

Eat these. For winter provision, sow a good patch in mid-July~mid-August (depends on when the variety matures AND your first frost date) for fall crop. I usually freeze my peas in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then freezer bag them. I also just saw Alton Brown freeze a batch of peas with liquid nitrogen on Good Eats last night. 8)
Last edited by applestar on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

momof4rugratz

OMGOODNESS they are sweet and yummy. I will be picking them all today and pray another batch pops in soon. I will freeze this batch then I plan to use for stir fry :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”