6shooter
Newly Registered

Outdoor Container Veg Garden on a Covered Porch.

Hello all,

I'm in GA, just north of Atlanta. I have a northern facing porch that gets probably 1-2 hours of morning sun, with about 3.5 hours (guesstimates) of sun in the evening.

I want to start growing food if at all possible. I have a small container herb garden, but would like to add other things, but I'm not sure what can grow in these conditions.

Here's what I hope I can grow:
Tomato (some medium size)
Lettuce
Spinach
Carrots
Peppers (The hot kind, not Bell)
Anything interesting you can recommend.

Any ideas? Tips? Advice?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

JMO, but I think you're going to need more sun that what you described. It's my understanding that to produce veggies, you must provide a minimum of 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight. I could be wrong, though. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

Is there any way you could position the containers so they wouldn't be under the cover of the porch? Do you have any yard at all?

applestar
Mod

If your porch is anything like my NW-facing porch, I bet those couple of hours of setting sun scorches it. Which means lettuce and spinach, the best low-light candidates, would be fried (they can't take hot weather). Maybe summer spinach cousins like Malabar spinach? Carrots just might make it in a tall pot, especially if you grow the shorter varieties. The hot peppers are the least likely to succeed.

This is a crazy idea, but you would have a better chance of success with the tomatoes if the ENTIRE porch -- ceiling, floor, walls, were painted white. :cool: Or, even better, if you lined the side walls with reflective material (aluminum-lined insulation board comes to mind) or -- let's be a little more decorative :roll: -- some mirrors.

Other lower-light tolerant veggies that I can remember off the top of my head include bush beans and cucumbers, some herbs in the mint family, lemon balm, wild strawberries -- Fragaria virginiana -- (a little late to plant that for fruits this year), wild blackberries and huckleberries, and (not frost-tolerant so you'll have to bring it inside in winter but) coffee.

6shooter
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:JMO, but I think you're going to need more sun that what you described. It's my understanding that to produce veggies, you must provide a minimum of 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight. I could be wrong, though. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

Is there any way you could position the containers so they wouldn't be under the cover of the porch?
Yes, there is a section of the porch that stays shady.
Do you have any yard at all?
Not an inch of yard, just the porch. Apartment living :(
Last edited by 6shooter on Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I think that you will be fire with everything except the tomatoes. I would recommend arugula, parsley, basil, chives, thyme. If the evening sun is too harsh, just construct some kind of filtering screen.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”