Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wind flattened corn

The storm last night flattened most of my corn. It's to late today to try to fix it. Tomorrow I plan to stand it back up by building dirt up around it. I'll re-compost it and cross my fingers. It varies in height from 1 to three feet. It looks like it just bent over...no roots came up. Reckon this will work?

green~acres

Same thing happened to ours a couple of years ago. We stood it back up and pulled up dirt around it, too. It worked. It just made us sick to see it flattened.Ours weathered the storm last night and the wind today. It is about knee high. Best of luck with yours. Julie

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thanks Julie, I'll give it a shot. I wonder how high I can pack dirt up the stalks?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Aw, too bad. Hope it works to stand it back up. I have done that many times and it usually works. If you have space plant some more for a later crop.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It has been very windy here, but the corn is still standing tall.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The longer you wait the harder it is to stand back up.

green~acres

oh dear, The wind is blowing 25 mph. I don't know if the corn will be able to stand that.If it blows down, we will stand it back up by piling dirt around it and also, hoping the sun will help straighten it back up. Bye,, Julie

farmers tan

Don't water it very heavily before the heavy windstorms or during the windstorms and this will help too. Also, try planting your rows into the wind rather then sideways with the wind. This will help because each plant will act like a windbreak and support the the next plant.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It took 6 hours but we tilled the rows and hand packed about 3 inches of dirt around each plant while straightening them up. That's all we can do but cross our fingers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”