lauralime
Newly Registered

help with new garden.

I have tilled up an area of lawn for a garden. I am way to late in starting in Sacramento,ca but I am going to keep going. the lawn I tilled up and now have racked is still there somewhat little pieces sticking up from the ground. should I now dig down farther and remove some of more dirt and then add some soil and garden compost then plant my plants. or just keep tilling and then add garden compost and plant plants.

BlueBerryGarden

Good job with sticking to your plan. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, however, correct me if I'm wrong but It sounds like there might still be some roots or weeds still sticking up even after tilling? If this is the case, I would rake some more, about 6-7inches deep and pull as many weeds and roots as you can. Then mix in your extra soils (try to get the new soils about 6-7 inches deep as well, to make sure your garden is extra clean for the new plants) . This is always the best things to do, you don't want those nasty weeds or roots coming up any sooner then they will already! Sorry if I'm off on what you're asking, but I thought I'd give it a shot! goodluck sweetie!

lauralime
Newly Registered

:D yes you were right on. I do have roots and left over grass in the dirt. I did rake it and I guess I will continue to rake and till and remove as much of this left over stuff as I can and then add my soil. I am hoping to get it done by this weekend. We already had 100 degree weather and I need to get the plants in before it stays this way till September.
Thanks again for the advise.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”