Tinybu88les8

when to fertilize

I've been told that there's no need to fertilize for the first 2-3 weeks after starting a garden because there's already fertilizer in the compost and soil added. My gardens been going for about 2 weeks now...I haven't yet fertilized. Should I wait? do it now? Everything is growing great. I didn't realize how quickly the plants grow! My zucchini has more than doubled as well as a few other plants. Sometimes they seem to grow noticeably larger over night! Its pretty cool!

James282
Cool Member

Hey Tinyblue. If you are using organic fertilizers, feel free to work some more into the soil. If you are going to use a synthetic 20/20/20 or something, you should await reply from someone more qualified in using those sorts of fertilizers :) I think using a balanced organic fertilizer every 3 weeks or so is plenty for most vegetables. Happy growing!

James

Tinybu88les8

Anyone have any advice? I got one of those liquid feeders.

James282
Cool Member

More details on what sort of liquid feeder you got. The brand name and type helps. If there are any numbers listed like this: 20/20/20 or 30/15/30 that would help as well.

James

Tinybu88les8

I got that new miracle grow attachment you hook up to your hose. its 12-4-8 for the veggies and has one for flowers that is 12-9-6. I still haven't fertilized... I don't want to kill anybody! I need advice of others. :)

James282
Cool Member

If you want to be cautious, those fertilizers are a good place to start. It would be tough to burn out your plants with such mild concentrations. Start with giving a 5 second shot of that stuff once every two weeks for your flowers.

I'd also recommend getting liquid seaweed:

You can happily apply this once a week since it is well balanced and contains far less chemical potency than a synthetic fertilizer while still delivering balanced, healthy nutrients to your soil.

Make sure to dilute it properly though(about 1 capful per gallon of water) and don't worry if it smells a bit like fish for a few minutes afterward :)

For a novice fertilizer, I think using an organic solution would be the safest way to go...but I think the stuff you have sounds mild enough that I wouldn't be overly worried. Just remember that it is always worse to overfertilize than underfertilize!

Good luck!

James

Tinybu88les8

OKay so a 5 second shot of it to all my veggies and herbs too?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Gardeners don't usually fertilize herbs; they're said to do better with lean soil and not so much fertilizing. When I make "kelp water," I don't give any to my herbs; just the veggies, roses, geraniums, fig tree, dying cherry tree, etc.

But not the rosemary that ate a great deal of space, and not the herbs in containers, either.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Tinybu88les8

OKay so I want fertilize the herbs then....might be a big hard because they are all planted together but they have a section of the garden dedicated just to them. what about strawberries???

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Tinybu88les8 wrote:... what about strawberries???
:wink: What about the Sunset Western Garden Book and the section called "A Practical Guide to Gardening"? Don't forget to browse (or buy) this essential book for gardening in the western states and provinces.

The basics of gardening (irrigation, fertilization, tools, preparation of soil, annuals / biennials / perennials) all are set forth in reader-friendly language, with plenty of clear illustrations and/or photographs, whichever better serves the purpose.

The individual entries in the central part of the "green bible," like Strawberry, Carrot, Rosemary, and such, provide all the culture info you (or at least *I*...) could ever want about any of these plants.

Another advantage of Sunset is that you can carry it right out into the garden rather than remain tethered to the computer on such a beautiful day as we're having, at least at my house, but I think it's probably sunny and beautiful in all of California this afternoon... ahhh...gotta go outside and poke around, myself... :)

Cynthia

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When using Miracle Grow follow the instructions with the product and applicator.

When using dry fertilizers, care must be taken to not get it too thick or it can burn your plants. Many plants have been killed with kindness. Most products have appliction guidelines on the package. It is better to go too little than too much.

Yes, a little shot of fertilizer every 3 weeks to a month is good until the plants bloom, and especially if you are using artificial soil. (Packaged potting soil, peat moss, perlite, and other basically sterile components.)

Tinybu88les8

OKay, I have blooms on my zucchini, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries...should I not fertilize those? Also...all my flowers (fuschia, blue balloon flower, and violets) have blooms. what about those?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Don't fertilize too soon young tender plants don't like it. 2 to 3 weeks in the ground exposed to sun, rain, wind, etc. and the plants will be fine just don't over do it. Take it easy on the fertilizer when the plants are small. When the plants get larger you can feed them plenty. I buy my fertilizer at the farm supply store it is very cheap there. I buy a 50 lb bag of 15/15/15, 50 lb bag of Ammonium Nitrate, 50 lb bag of pellet lime, 5 lb bag of Super Phosphate, 5 lb bag of Muratic of Potash, 5 lbs of sulfur. This will last me all summer and I can use this in any combination I like, mix my own.

Tomatoes, 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 1 pint of lime, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 1 quart of water per plant every day.

Squash, 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 1 quart of water per plant every day only until the plants get larger then mother nature takes over.

Beans, 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 1 pint of lime, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons of water per 20 ft row. Water only 1 time all summer.

Corn, 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 1 pint of lime, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons of water per 20 ft row 1 time. After that 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons of water per row 1 time a week. When the plants are starting to produce ears 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons of water per row twice a week. 5 gallons of just water every day if no rain. You have a 2 week window to make it or brake it plenty of water makes large ears of corn. You don't really have to water at all but it helps.

Potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 1/2 pint of Super Phosphate, 1/2 pint of Muratic of Potash, 1/2 pint of sulfur, 5 gallons of water. Mix well. 5 gallons of water once a week during the hot and dry part of summer, July and August.

Peppers and Eggplants, 1 pint of ammonium nitrate, 1 pint of 15/15/15, 1 pint of lime, 5 gallons of water. Mix well in a 5 gallon bucket. 1 quart of water per plant. After that 1 pint of ammonium nitrate in 5 gallons of water, 1 quart of water to each plant once a week.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”