applestar
Mod

Need some pep talk - so hard to wait for warm enough weather

Today was a hot day -- up to 78ºF and I'm just ITCHING to plant out the cukes (2 good sized true leaves, 3rd one just unfolding) but forecast for Mon's Low is 41ºF, High is a rainy 59ºF, then Low of 43ºF. I KNOW it's too early, but I just need some emotional support. :oops: :roll: :wink:

... I started an extra pot each of watermelon, French melon, Honeydew melon and an Asian melon (I already have seedlings growing -- they'll be backups or successions), as well as a pot of Tennessee peanuts (wasn't planning to start them until this weekend) to appease myself.... :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I feel your pain, this weather SUCKS. We had thunderstorms all day, weather man says it will be worse tomorrow. No rain in the forcast all next week but the temperature is droping into the 40s at night, high 60s and low 70s the rest of the week. That sucks too.

Don't worry about it too much more than once I have not been able to plant my garden until the 2nd week of June and it does fine.

If I can plant early I can sometimes plant a second crop. Beans and corn are sometimes gone late July or early August so I plant something in its place. Probably not this year.

We have had about 2 months or rain, I should have planted RICE.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat May 16, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepper4
Green Thumb

I also know how you feel. :( I grew my cukes and peppers from seed. Peppers are about 10 inches tall and have blossoms . They need to get in the ground but weather's not co-operating. I keep telling myself I have gotten this far and waited this long so what's another week or 2? :roll: I just don't want to risk them and all the effort I put into them. :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Be careful what you wish for... down here? It's so hot..

the cows are giving evaporated milk.

… you fed the chickens cracked ice so they wouldn’t lay hard-boiled eggs.

… that there are things in your home that don't work: your air conditioner, your refrigerator and your kids.

the squirrels are icing their nuts

that my outdoor thermometer was banging on the door to come inside.

It is so hot that I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking !

It is so hot that the farmer was plowing his field and the corn began to pop. His mule looked up and thought it was snowing, so he lay down and froze to death !

It is so hot and dry that I found a tick on a catfish!

It is so hot that the farmer’s pigs melted in the potato field, and french fries came up!

It is so hot that I know the devil is up here in somebody’s house playing cards.

It is so hot that all the Republican candidates were showing cleavage!

Feel better? Some were googled. The squirrel one's mine.

elevenplants

It is so hot that all the Republican candidates were showing cleavage!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Charlie, I love to start the day with a good chuckle!!

Rebecca

eshenry

Thats ok. My husband is getting tired of all the rain, too, Gary. He cant go fishing cause all the fish drowned.

applestar
Mod

:D You guys are GREAT! Thanks! :D
(Another HOT day -- I had to mist and water the wilty cabbage and peas... :roll: I was starting to consider shading them but the clouds rolled in -- now it's 84ºF in the shade... AND they're predicting new LOWS of 39ºF for TONIGHT -- gotta bring the peppers and eggplants inside AGAIN! -- and SUN NIGHT, then Mon night low of 49º !!! CRAZY weather!

:D Picked 8 strawberries today :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”