BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Protecting your Plants from extreme wind?

I have had a week of wind with no signs of letting up. Winds have been averaging around 25-30 mph and yesterday gusts of 40+. I am trying to harden off my plants, but can seem to get them outside, because they would blow away in the wind. Is there anyway I could put them outside without the wind getting to them? If anyone has an ideas, about cold frames etc, and or how to build them or any other creative ideas that would be great. I am surprised my house is still standing lol.

applestar
Mod

I've been using translucent plastic storage totes (24"Lx15"Wx18"D). I would imagine if there was going to be severe wind, I would bungee cord the totes to the fence or a tree or a post in case it might be blown over/away. I HAVE placed them in the lee of a fence or tree.

As for the plants inside, if the sides of the totes are insufficient to block the wind and the wind is swirling inside, I would put some kind of buffer across the top. Off the top of my head, I can think of using mesh material like bird netting or a piece of fencing/chickenwire/hardware cloth or a piece of burlap for added temp insulation at night time (During the day, I've often used floating covers, but old sheer curtains would work too.), secured in place with bungee. Another idea is simply several bungee cords tied around the entire tote -- just enough to break up the air flow. Come to think of it, I have some strap-type bungees that would work well. :idea:

Somebody said before that they already had stuff in the totes they have -- well mine had stuff in them too, but I had the kids sort through their toys -- to keep/toss/give away and managed to get 2 of them empty! :cool: :lol: :wink:

OK. Had another idea. If your plants are not too tall and temp is not an issue, milk crates placed OVER them might work too. Don't think they'd blow away, but if there's a chance of that, stake them down.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”