earth tone
Newly Registered

Are these LED lights worth it?

I'm interested in growing some vegetables using LED light I read that they can make the vegetables fast and bigger. I came across this website:

------------------------

What do you guys think, can I benefit from using this light?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

LEDs will not grow plants any differently than any other commonly used grow lights. The initial cost is much higher than other types of lights, but over their long lifetime the energy savings makes them comperable to other lights. They are good if heat buildup is a problem for you, bad if you want to look at your plants (because they are always under red and blue lights). You can also vary the ratio of blue to red fixtures to help or hinder flowering.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

From the research I did earlier this year LEDs are the wave of the future for growing. The biggest reason is because they can produce a more precise light wave for your needs. I found that they do grow plants better then the florescent because of this BUT that only if you are going to grow the plant under the light for it's entire life. Another advantage if you are growing the plant under it for it's entire life is that you can easily mix bulbs for the different light waves. This will help a plant grow green and strong and flower nicely if it need it.

Now the cons of LEDs. While these appear to be cheaper then what I found a number of months back they are still expensive and I had a hard time justifying the cost. They are also hard to tell if they are actually putting out the correct wave length that they claim since they can be easily colored but doesn't necessarily mean they are the true wave length needed. And LEDs do fade over time. So while they might be bright and good the first 1/2 of their life they might become un-useful the second 1/2 or you have to make sure you have them really close to the plant.

Now being that one bulb is only about 40 bucks it would be interesting to do a comparison grow between one of these an a florescent bulb.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”