somegeek

Fertilize / Feed Starters?

Hey folks - question regarding starters planted in plain potting soil/perlite mix. The soil is plain without any nutrients and I've not added any nutrients yet with these as I burned some tomato starters with nutrients.

Curious if I need to add any nutrients to my starters as they still have a few weeks before they go into our garden beds? This lettuce basil plant is getting pretty pale or maybe it's just not as dark as genovese?

[img]https://somegeek.home.comcast.net/somegeek_starters_2.jpg[/img]

I'm letting these nearly dry out before watering and let them soak in a few inches of water when I do water. They have good drainage.

Appreciate any input. :)

somegeek

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You really can't tell by the bag, but have to watch the plants. Last year I bought several bags of a high price professional mix used by our local nursery. The bag says it has starter nutrients in it. The seedlings do not grow worth a hoot and I have to fertilize. This year I bought some ProMix, which says nothing about starter nutrients. The seedlings grow like crazy in it. If your leafed out seedlings seem like they are growing very slowly and maybe the leaves are discolored or splotchy in some way they probably could use some fertilizer.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”