dannah19
Newly Registered

What's wrong with my beets?

I am new to gardening; this is my first time trying to grow veggies in my back yard. I planted some beets last month from seed, and they have been growing and looking great up to a few days ago. I noticed that the leaves are discolored. Does anyone know what may be causing this and/or have advice about what to do to fix it? I have a few photos, but I don't know how to post them here (it's also my first time posting to this forum), but I tried to insert the links for the photos:

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/12308962@N07/3529245896/[/url]

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/12308962@N07/3529246084/[/url]

Thanks for your help!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I guess no one wants to tackle this?

I don't know. Do you have slugs?

Just see what happens I guess. Hope it will work out.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but haven't seen this before.

Welcomt to the forum.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Looks like leaf miner damage. An insect larvae eats the tissue in between the upper and lower 'skin' of the leaf. Cut it off behind the damage and discard.

dannah19
Newly Registered

TZ - I bet you're right! Last night I was looking at the leaves more closely again, and it seems like there is a pocket under the leaf membrane - like the leaf has been separated as you are describing, and I could peel the top skin of the leaf off. I started removing the worst of the leaves, but I'll go ahead and give it a good pruning tonight. Thanks for your help!

elevenplants

Looks like they might need thinning a bit too. Have you thinned them at all yet? There needs to be an inch or so between plants.

Rebecca

Sandbar Lu
Newly Registered

what's wrong with my beets?

How can you stop the insect larvae cold in it's tracks and prevent leaf miner damage? The leaves of my young beets are decimated.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”