farmers tan

Drip hose vs. T-tape vs. Overhead watering... Please Help!

I am installing a sprinkler system in my yard and wanted to install a watering system in my garden that will be the most effective. The dimensions are 25x45 and my rows run north and south in moderately sandy soil. I have looked at some of my different options but wanted so additional opinions. I'm leaning to a drip hose system but it could require up to 1500 feet of this hose. I've heard of t-tape but haven't seen it sold anywhere but online.

1. Can Drip Hose and T-Tape be used for sub-surface watering?

2. Which will last longer?

3. I looked at Rainbird drip hose and can only find some with emmitters ever 12 in. that have a 1gph application rate. For row crops, such as corn, peas, and beans, is an emmitter ever 12 inches enough and how many hours will I have to run them to be effective?

4. How many stations will I need to reserve on my sprinkler system to run a section of 25 ft. long hoses and how many hoses to a station?

5. Are there any advantages to T-tape and if so where can it be purchased?

Please help! I need to get this installed in the next couple of weeks before I get everything planted.

msuc5vette

I tried the drip hose last year, it was virtually useless. I bought probably about 400' putting it on craigslist soon.

I am switching to the 1/2" inground sprinkler line with press in drip heads. They are available in various GPH and you pick the location.

You have a larger area to cover than I do, but it should work well to keep the ground moist.

I am putting the tubes 2' apart, and one head every 2 feet. So I am counting on 1 GPH head watering a 4 square feet each.

If anyone else has any experience I am also interested!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think an emitter type would be easier for year to year use, as you can place an emitter line , but the tape drips every 8 or 12 inches whther there is a plant there or not. I'd think the line type would be more flexible...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”