Earl K
Green Thumb

Zuchinni turning brown?

My first couple of squash are turning brown. It almost seems that they are rotting at the tip where the flower was.Could this be from overwatering?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I can't be sure without a photo, but it sounds like blossom-end rot. The fruit (squash) of the plant starts to turn brown and get soft from the blossom end back towards the stem.

Gardening authorities (at least, the ones who wrote the books *I* purchased :wink:) usually attribute BER to one of two causes: uneven moisture levels in the soil and/or calcium deficiency in the soil.

Maybe this will help you begin the problem-solving process. And...just because *one* squash on the plant develops BER is no reason to believe that they all will. I lost a couple of zukes to BER last year but paid more attention to moisture level and it went away. (I wasn't used to the "Mel's Mix" in my SFG.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks Cynthia,I am still working on a way to post pics.Long story.But BER is probably what it is.I water daily and use a liquid fert. once a week so moisture has been consistent,but they were moved outside of porch and are now getting hit by a sprinkler which is reclaimed water-I don't like the idea either-but there is nowhere to put 2 25 gallon containers in my little yard :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”