stvfarmboy

First Trellis

I do not have much experience with using a trellis, so I thought I would get some opinions on here.

I was originally going to have the trellis run east-west since that would parallel the fence that is along the north side of my garden. But I got to thinking that maybe having it run north-south would be better so that both sides receive sunlight. Would one direction be better than the other as far as growing cucumbers?

Like I said, I haven't used a trellis before, so this is going to be a little bit of an experiment for me to see how it works.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have not grown cucumbers, but I think erecting the trellis in the north/south alignment, which would provide good sun exposure for each side, would be the better choice.

OTOH, if you erected it parallel to the fence, the vines would probably grow on only the exposed side, and might produce just as much fruit. Just my uneducated opinion. :lol:

2cents
Green Thumb

Both work very well and you will likely see fruit on both sides of the trellis.

stvfarmboy

Thanks for the replies so far.

A couple more trellis questions.

I am planning on using some chicken wire for the portion of the trellis that the cucumbers climb. Is there a rough height off the ground that it should start? I was thinking of having it so the wire starts 4-6â€

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”