darkstar
Newly Registered

soil problem with wood chips and a bobcat

Last year I used my bobcat to plow my garden ,what a mistake as I plowed into the sub- soil . The previous year I had an ok garden. I had added top soil from places I could obtain it for free This last summer my garden was aweful . I locate this garden in the only spot I have . Unfortunatly a home used to stand where the garden is, and the soil is already pretty bad.
This year I composted wood chips from my tree service for about one year thinking that they might help the poor soil situation. now I have applied the half way composted chips to the soil and used a roter tiller to till it in with dirt . The mix looks good and I nice and black. The soild was already improving from organic matter I had added.
MY question is now that I have this mixture how can I possibly make it better I hope to grow a summer garden again in late spring. One farmer told me to plant a cover crop and see how that does. Another fellow said my soil was going to way to acedic now as some of the chips did not fully compost . Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :?:

darkstar
Newly Registered

I just spent the last hour in the organic gardening forum . Ive been throwing on leaves and composted vegatable matter but I think some of my wood chips did not compost fully. Should I lay down a cover of leaves and toss in some worms possibly ? My garden is only about 50 feet by 30 feet and I'm jusy trying to get ready for a summer thing so maybe its not to late . sorry to be such a noob.... :oops:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Okay, here we go;

Yes, leaves would be good. Make sure to put some manure on top of the leaves or they won't compost enough for you to plant in the spring.

What type of tree did you get the wood chips from?

Grass clipping are a great addition to the mix as well.

So, with that recipe: I would lay down the grass clipping on top of your wood chips then put a layer of mulched up leaves followed by a layer of manure.

Plant a cover crop of vetch, white clover, crimson clover or some other nitrogen fixing plant in early spring (march if the ground is thawed) and mow it then turn it in in april or may and you should be rearing to go come planting time.

Do this every year (that's what I do) and you will have the best soil on the block.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”