Kenshi Clay
Newly Registered

Grass Question

Hi guys, first question here.

Ok, so we moved to this house in the winter this year, and it had a vegetable garden area. It was grown over with grass, and everything, so when the snow thawed, and the ground loosened up a little, I had a local farmer come over w/ his tractor, and till the soil for me, to aerate it and to also get rid of all the grass that was grown into it.

I started by planting my garlic and onions a couple weeks ago, and my warmer weather veggies are in the "greenhouse" getting bigger.

My garden is bordered by wood beams, which seem to keep the outside grass at bay, BUT, I'm getting lots of new grass growing inside the border of my garden as well. Is there any way to get rid of this grass in a more permanent way without hurting the other plants? I'm pulling the grass almost every other day, but it still keeps growing in, and I can't pull too much because pulling some of them also uproots some of the seedling lettuce and broccoli I've planted.

Any suggestions?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Now you know why people use herbicides before plowing the grass under for a new garden. Not much you can do in amongst the vegetbles that won't hurt them as well other than being careful with a sharp hoe. Sheets of newspaper covered with grass clippings or compost will keep the grass down between rows. Plastic mulch or weed block fabric would work too.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

What I ended up doing around my small trees and I'm sure it would work in a garden would be to take cardboard or sheets of news paper and make a layer around the plant and put some mulch on top of that so it looks nice. This really killed the grass and looks nice. I do have some grass that is growing in the mulch but it's easily pulled. If it's around plants that will be there most the year then the cardboard or newspaper will be mostly gone by fall.

Kenshi Clay
Newly Registered

ya I didnt think about using the herbicide before having it tilled. This is the first garden I've had w/ this scenario. all the other houses and gardens I've delt with have already been portioned off, and well maintained of grass. Oh well, this will help me for next year.

But for this year: some grass is ok in the garden? everything ive ever learned said to keep grass out...but it appears that as long as the grass isnt directly "on top of" the plant, that it should be ok? is this the case?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”