smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Turnip Greens

Okay I've heard you could eat the turnip greens (I'm guessing that's the top leafy part of the turnip) but then does the other part of the turnip keep growing? How do you pick them? What do you use them in or use them for? Salads, steam them? :?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they're a little course for salads, but they're nice as a cooked green - steamed is what I usually do. if I've got a number of turnip plants going, I just harvest a couple leaves per plant at a time, so each one won't get too taxed...leave most of the newest leaves and the growing tip.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I plant my turnip greens in the fall and they grow all winter even in the snow and ice. We had several weeks of 10 degree weather it did not hurt the turnip greens. Cut off the tops and they grow back. In the spring I till the turnips up, hot weather makes the greens bitter so they are no good. Kale grows all winter too.

The trick to making good turnip greens is the way they are cooked. I boil them in a very large pan of water about 30 minutes. When the water turns green, dump the water. Boil again about 15 minutes in new water with a slice of bacon. Drain the water then sprinkle on a little Louisiana Hot Sauce on the greens it is much better than tabasco sauce and some of the vinegar from a jar of pepperoncini peppers. Serve in a bowl and top with a couple of pepperoncini peppers. For each his own.

I know a lady that boils the greens for 30 minutes then dumps the green water and boils again for 15 minutes and drains the water. She fries a strip of bacon in a large cast iron skillet then dumps in the turnip greens. I think her turnip greens taste better than mine but mine have less grease.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

elevenplants

Hahahahahaha! Hahahahahaha!

Whew! Oh, smoke, I'm not laughing AT you....

Turnip greens, brother, are the closest thing to heaven you can put in your mouth when they are prepared RIGHT. Down here in Alabama they are almost a staple! I have a recipe/formula for preparing them if you are interested in having it, but you'll have to pass the security clearance test first. :lol:

Rebecca

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Oh ya 11plants. How do I pass?

So if I use the greens from the turnip can I still eat the turnip root after it's ready? I initially planted these for the turnip root but the leaves are SO HUGE and I've hear you could eat those too.
:shock:

elevenplants

I had my people check up on you, smoke, and you're ok. :wink:

You want to take those big ol' leaves and wash them very well to get off any grit and/or bugs. Then you gonna cook those in a large pot, really fill it up with the greens cause they cook way down. Then add about a quarter head of cabbage, chopped up. (You can leave this out if you have issues with cabbage, but it adds a nice mellow flavor to the greens). Add two boneless pork ribs or boneless chops, and about a TBS of vegetable oil...I use Smart Balance...and fill the pot almost to the top with water. I use a dutch oven. Now you're gonna get this all boiling, and you have to watch it closely or it will boil over because at this point you have a FULL pot of stuff! Once it is boiling nicely on about medium heat, turn it down to a simmer, cover, and let it cook until the pork is falling apart tender. This is gonna take about 4 hours, cooking slow.

When you go to eat these greens, you will want to add some pepper sauce, and I'm not talking about tabasco. If you know what home made pepper sauce is, that's what you want. If you don't have it or can't get it, just use malt vinegar or salad vinegar to dress your greens with. About a spoonful on your bowlful should be enough. And there should be cornbread to accompany, and ideally, nice green onions.

It's heaven, I'm telling you. And yes, you can still eat the turnip. It will keep growing if you just take a few leaves off each plant to make your pot o' greens.

Rebecca

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Wonderful. Thanks. I will pass this along to the wife since she doesn't let me in the kitchen. I'm just bring home the bacon or should I say grow the vegetables :lol:

2cents
Green Thumb

Smoke,
Went south to visited a friend in the Carolinas July 4th 1981, he had made friends with some good old boys and 'em boys wives.
They made a bunch of food. A 2 foot tall pot of fried chicken and a 2 foot tall pot of Turnip Greens and black eyed peas and about a bushel of corn bread. It was my first time for a real Southern style feast. They had heard I liked to eat and made me feel right at home.
The ladies talked it over and decided I passed the security clearance(I wonder if 11plants was there). I was let in on a secret.
Pick half of your greens and rinse. Then,
Boil them green twice, with some ham hocks the second time and salt to taste, stick o butter on top to melt in. Nothing else needed.
Just like making POKE except only boil twice.
That same friend now lives back up here north of the Ohio. Guess what, he does it exactly the same, but stirs a little molasses just before serving.
And saves the butter for the corn bread.

elevenplants

Well, now, 2cents, I don't think I was at that gathering, and of course, Carolinas are just barely considered 'south'....down here in Alabama we don't go in for all that fancy twice-boiling gobbledegook. And you'll note that my recipe calls for no unnecessary BUTTER, but rather, uses Smart Balance oil in the interests of heart health. :) You cook 'em like I told you, smoke, and you will be a happy man. :-) Don't forget the pepper sauce and cornbread. :wink:

Rebecca

2cents
Green Thumb

11plants,

You, Southern Belles are always sweet as honey.

No question your recipe sounds terrific and more heart healthy.
I just remember them young ladies had to have a Pow Wow to decide if I was worthy of the recipe. Your security clearance made me think back and laugh. :lol:
I wish my nieces had been as discerning about there husbands as the Belles are about who gets a their recipes.

I do notice a similarity between the Alabama and the Carolinas cooking,,,,,,,Cornbread. Mmm Mmm Mmm

elevenplants

We Southern Belles ARE as sweet as honey....sometimes have little stingers like honey bees, too.... :wink:

Rebecca

2cents
Green Thumb

Next time I'm Alabama, I'll keep an eye out for those stingers :kidding:

applestar
Mod

Elevenpants! I adapted your turnip greens recipe for cauliflower leaves (harvested the last Cauliflower today) and leatherly Lucinato Kale that survived the winter and is going strong for the 2nd year, plus some kind of spring mustard greens that was taking up the garden bed where the Watermelon wanted to go. Italian sausages and a pork chop, some onions and a few cloves of my own garlic. :D

DH walked in and immediately said, "What's that weird smell?" Turned his nose up. But I made him try a taste and now he's just wolfed down his first bowlful. :lol: Used Cayenne pepper sauce -- if you'll tell me how, I'll try growing some hot peppers and making my own next year. :wink: Definitely added the right kick to the dish. Hmm... I think *I*ll go have some more. :D

kimbledawn

The recipes are good. At home we use smoked turkey legs or wings( no pork) Boil the turkey in a pot of water with a little salt for about 15 min then add the greens ,tablespoon sugar, lil garlic, onion, mrs dash and tablespoon oil.and boil them both together for about thirty min or until tender. My mom boils her turnip with her greens, but I don't like turnips.
serve with pepper sauce and cornbread.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just eat the root. The greens are worm food. Anything you gotta cook twice in two changes of water hasn't got any nutrition left in it anyway.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”