Pebbles

My cucumber plant is going a little limp

Hi all, hope you can help.

My brother gave me two cucumber plants a couple of weeks ago. They are about 8 inches high. Two large leaves on each and a small third one forming.

One is looking good the other I have just noticed seemed to be wilting.

They are in large planters inside the greenhouse. I water them every other day. Looking at the soil/compost and by the touch, it feels pretty damp to me.

Am I over watering them? Do cucumbers like to be a little dryer?

He has grown these two plants from seed and I would hate them to die on me.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, temperature over here the last couple of weeks has been about 60 degrees. It isn't hot inside the greenhouse nor is it cold.

scribbler
Newly Registered

No suggestions, just some sympathy.

Lost all of my cucumber babies this year. I think it was a combination of a too early start and lack of sunny weather - sounds like yours are about the same size mine were.

The only good thing is all this rain should help bring us back to semi-normal water levels.

Hopefully, someone else will know what we both did/are doing wrong.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I would lay off the water a little and see what happens. Also is the soil well-draining? If the dirt feels moist most of the time chances are its not. Do you have air circulation in the green houses? Also if you can check to see if the pH level is around 6.5 - I've heard they like this best. The only other thing I can think of is the size of the container, exactly how big is it? I hope they get better for you.
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

Pebbles

Brian

Thanks for your help.

I don't have air circulation as such - just a window that opens and two sliding doors.

Must admit I haven't had the window or doors open much or for too long because it has been raining really hard for the past couple of days.

The planter has plenty of holes in the bottom of it so the water can drain away and the planter is sat on a concrete/paving base. It is 18 inches in diameter and the same in depth.

How can I check the ph level? what do I need?

Scribbler - thanks. Don't worry about not knowing what the problem is. I don't know either but thankfully there are some here that will be able to help. Sorry you lost all your babies - that must have been very upsetting.

Let's hope we find out what is wrong and then next time have some successful plants.

pharmerphil

besides more than adequate water...what size pot/cell are the plants in?
8 inches tall ...could be root bound

Pebbles

They are 18 inches wide and 18 inches tall.

I have been having a closer look at this plant. The very bottom of the stem, just above soil surface, is looking a little yellowish and also looks as though it is thinning and not as thick as the rest of the stem.

Its almost as if the leaves and upper stem are not getting any nutrients or water.

I don't hold out much hope for it.

I have carefully lifted it and put the bottom part of the stem that is weak under the soil and put more soil around the plant to give it a little support.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”