minu

Question re. Square Foot Gardening

OK here is what might be one of those silly questions.

I am getting ready to try Squarefoot gardening method and have an existing raised bed that was built about 6 months ago. It was filled with a mixture of premium potting soil and mushroom compost at that time. I planted about 1/3 of it over the winter with some spinach and left the rest as is (no mulch, nothing).
Now the question is that do I just add the 'Mel's mixture' soil on top of the existing bed or dig out some of the older soil (and do what with it?) or do I mix in the Mel's mixture with the existing soil?

I am new to gardening and absolute novice at the Sqft method. Any tips will help.

Thanks
Minoti

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Last year, I used the 6-inch-deep method which Mel recommends in his 2005 update of SFG. I hope your SFG is more like 10 to 12 inches deep, because our Roma tomato plant was most unhappy with only 6 to 7 inches of planting medium. Likewise the eggplant and bell peppers. Our zucchini was late and hindered in production.

Now to your specific question: I'd just add vermiculite and compost to what's already available in your planting frame. I'd mix these new ingredients into what's already there with a "pitchfork" vs. a shovel. Turn it, twist it, just mix it all up really well and your plants will love you for it. :)

We're getting ready to add more compost + vermiculite to that original, too-shallow bed this coming weekend.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”