tfoals

Slugs and snails?

I still don't have anything in the ground yet. Hopefully by this weekend things will dry out. The thought of squishing slugs turns my stomach. I thought about putting out beer in several strategic spots around our three acers, far away from our garden. Will it help if I start this now?

kylie77

I don't know if beer is a good idea or not, but I've used it. It worked great! Attracted a million slugs, and didn't have a problem again afterwards. If we had lots of slugs I'd do it, but I'm not an expert!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have had wonderful luck using beer as bait for slugs, but for some odd reason, the snails around here don't go for it. Unfortunately, snails are what I have most of anymore. :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Kept far away from the garden, it's a fine idea...

HG

kylie77

Why should it be kept away from the garden? When we did it we put little containers right next to the garden. Sounds like that wasn't a great idea!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Because beer calls slugs from 300' away... why call them to your garden?

:wink:

HG

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Just like with hormone traps, if you use them set the traps away from your yard, not in the middle of it!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

INdeed...

HG

tfoals

Thanks for the advice. Now I have to go buy some beer. :P yuck...

RosieRenee

We use beer to success, also, in Western Washington. We have a lot of rain, too, so to avoid diluting the beer with rain, I made some "roofs" out of liter-size plastic bottles. I cut off about 4" of the bottle and cut a length-wise strip out of it so it forms a little plastic dome, then place the dome over a container of beer. The slugs crawl right up under the dome, into the tub of beer and enjoy their last happy hour, unhindered by falling rain!

kylie77

lol, of course! That makes sense! When we did it last year though we didn't have a problem. The slugs definately came to the beer, but once we got rid of the lot we captured, that was it. The problem was gone! If we have a problem this year I'll keep the beer at a distance from our garden!

tfoals

RosieRenee, what a great idea. It rained again last night. All my containers are full of water instead of beer.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”