goso
Newly Registered

Hi all. This is my 1st garden in almost 40 yrs & I've forgotten plenty. I built 4 small raised beds, 4'x6'x12". filled them w/ a mixture of "top soil" (bags from Lowes), peat moss, & composted manure. Planted the week before Easter. Planted tomatos, bell peppers, sunflowers, bush beans, squash, & carrots. This is mostly a project for my 4 yr old son to be involved in. Tomatos & sunflowers seem to be doing well & we have peppers. The carrots have done next to nothing. The squash is hit & miss, some plants appear to be healthy & have begun producing blooms while others (most) are stunted. Beans have only grown about 8-10" & look poorly. I'm watering 2,3 times a week unless we get rain. We have full sun. This is south Mississippi, but we've had a mild spring by our standards. I've started a compost for the yard clippings & will be adding that next year. Any ideas about what I could be doing now? I can't figure why some things would do so well while others do so poorly. Sorry this is so long. Thanks.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Goso, Welcome to and enjoy this forum. Lots of helpful folks here.

elevenplants

What method did you use in constructing your beds? If you just threw the compost and peat moss and dirt in all willy-nilly, perhaps you didn't get a thorough mix and consequently have some 'dead zones'. It takes a while mixing all that up, especially if you just try to do it straight in the bed. I mixed mine before hand on a huge sheet of plywood right next to the bed, and I mean I really worked it in, like making a cake. Blend well. :) Then I shoveled it into my beds, sweeping up the last crumbs.

Also, are you using a fertilizer, and if so, what and how often?

Rebecca

goso
Newly Registered

I put a layer of soil, then a layer of compost (half bag) & peat moss (half bag), then a layer of soil. I then worked it w/ the tiller (one of those small ones that work on a weedeater). I thought it was mixed pretty well but you may be right. Thanks.

g

Oh, no fertilizer, not yet anyway. Do you think I need to?

applestar
Mod

I've no idea what temperature is like in your area -- carrots can handle cooler weather 50's on up with lows in the 40's but takes a long time to sprout in lower temps. Also they sprout better when they're not covered too deeply -- on the surface with just a sprinkle of soil but must be kept moist until the roots have the chance to grow deep. Tomatoes are best with lows in the 50's on up, but bell peppers, sunflowers, bush beans, and squash really needs 60's on up.

Also, what's under your raised beds? Did you dig underneath? Did you lay paper/cardboard on grass and top with the beds? Do the beds have solid/weed barrier bottoms?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh, no fertilizer, not yet anyway. Do you think I need to?
Yes, get something like 16-8-8. Sprinkle it on alongside your plants, then water. Be careful to not put too much. Too much is worse than not enough. If you can, mulch a bit this season and in the fall put on some compost, then your soil will be better next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”