jena227
Newly Registered

All our seedlings are budding!?! Is this ok?

Is this ok or really bad? This is our first time starting a garden from seed, but a couple weeks before everything is supposed to go outside and everything is budding. Tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, zucchini has full out yellow flowers, green beans already came out(they tasted really good, though!) . It seems like this is ok for the tomatoes, but what about the rest? Or by reading another post, maybe this is even a good thing? All the plants are under 2 feet in our jungle of a walk in closet with 4 shop lights.

Should we start new plants, or will these do good for us?

TIA for any advice.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

It's normal for the plants to flower, but if the plants are not that big, you may want to clip off some of the buds and flowers for more yield. I have a lot of pepper plants that are flowering, and I have been snipping some of the flowers off, because they are not very big yet.

Haesuse

all of my 3 tomato plants, and 1 of my 3 pepper plants, are doing the same thing. 1 tomato plant (bush goliath) has 2 tomatoes, each golf ball sized, and 3 more flower clusters. 1 (husky cherry red) has 5 flower clusters. 1 (patio) has 3 flower clusters. the jalapeno plant has 1 jalapeno, 2 full bloom flowers, and 10 developing flowers. and my cayenne plant has 10+ flowers forming. my other plant, a tabasco plant, is doing what I would have guessed at this point: 10-12" tall, a dozen large leaves, and a dozen more small leaves forming, no flowers whatsoever. Odd that 1 of 6 plants would react so differently to the exact same conditions.

isn't it WAY too early for this? I'm in birmingham alabama, and we had 6 straight days of 88F weather, in the 3rd-4th week of april, which I think may have confused them... now it has been rainy 3 straight days, and we are forecast for 6 more straight days of rain, rain, rain. highs in the low 80's...

on the other hand, they all look incredibly healthy, and are growing a TON every day... maybe the early heat was a boon?

somegeek

BrianSkilton wrote:It's normal for the plants to flower, but if the plants are not that big, you may want to clip off some of the buds and flowers for more yield. I have a lot of pepper plants that are flowering, and I have been snipping some of the flowers off, because they are not very big yet.
I have three Roma plants which each have a single flower cluster about 6" up the plant. Will pinch these. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”