pepper4
Green Thumb

Bamboo stakes

Are those bamboo stakes any good at supporting peppers or would you suggest cages :?: :) Thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought 12 cages for my peppers last week. I looked at bamboo stakes they are $3 each cement rebar is cheaper.

I bought 12 cement rebars 20 foot length $3 each and cut them into 3 pieces. Now I have 36 metal stakes for holding my the cages when they get top heavy.

chefshelle

I agree with Gary, plus the rebar stakes will last forever.

Are you talking about bell peppers?? We don't stake ours at all and they do just fine.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Yes bell, bananna, and hungarian. Thanks for the info :wink:

chefshelle

Hi Bambi,

No, I don't stake the bells or banana. I've never grown the hungarian. Maybe others are getting larger bushes and need to stake them!

Mine produced a lot last year, although their size was just medium. The bushes never fell over.

Tomatoes and Pole Beans are the only things that we stake, or at least that I can think of off the top of my head!

Haesuse

regardless of whether or not any individual plant needs staking, bamboo is a wonderful option for staking, IF you need it in the first place.

now, BUYING bamboo might not be the best option, but I've always known of several spots where bamboo grows "wild" (someone's original planting that's just taken off, since bamboo obviously doesn't grow wild in alabama), where I can just take some shears and harvest enough for whatever I need. a patch a few blocks from me has 10' tall bamboo, by the hundred.

they do, obviously decay. but, they are a renewable resource, and they work fantastically well. I would definitely recommend using them, to anyone who has access to free bamboo...

Pebbles

I have a massive black bamboo grass growing in my garden. It must be 15ft high and gets thicker each year. I have taken canes off this before and utilised them for supporting my plants.

Not sure what the cages are. Names are so different over here and I get confused.

For instance, we have, french beans, runner beans, broad beans, dwarf beans but never seen pole beans. What do they look like or is it just another name for one I have mentioned above?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”