holmancentral

Pepper Plant Pest

I planted my pepper plants last week. Yesterday, I noticed that on e of my yellow bells plant was broken off at the ground. Then today, I went out and another on (two over from the first) is also broken off. It is broken off at a perfect diagonal. any idea what might be causing this or would it have happened to break off in the rain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

holmancentral

I just read the other post a little ways down about the severed pepper plants. I wondered it popsicle sitcks pushed in along the stem would work. I suppose I am needing to put the stick right next to the stem and push it in. Do I need to do this to my tomato plants to? Is there something I should do to kill the cutworms? Thanks

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Put collars around your plants, to prevent the cut worm for destroying your plants. These collars can be made from paper towel tubes etc.

holmancentral

Thanks for you reply. Will I likely lose the two plants that have already been "cut off" at the soil level. They were about 4-5 inch high plants. Also, how long should I leave the collars on the plants? And, do I need to do anything with the rest of my garden. I have bush beans, corn, zuchini, cucumbers, peas and lettuce. I am relatively new to gardening. We only had a very small plot last year and I just need a little help...thanks again

holmancentral

Also...My plants have been in the ground for a little over a week now, will I hurt the roots if I push something down in around it?

pharmerphil

Any time a plant is cut off ...WITH a diagonal cut,
( / ) Rabbits are the culprit.
We use black pepper, sprinkled on and around the plants, pepper will not harm the plants or fruit (MAY NOT WANT TO DO THIS ON STRAWBERRIES) :lol:
Rabbits "sniff" anything before they bite.
pepper can be cheapo generic, and must be re-applied after heavy rain

Cleopatra
Newly Registered

Hello My pepper plants in the greenhouse at my allotment have holes in the leaves and I'm going to try spraying them with watered down Neem oil. I read somewhere that this was a trick to use to prevent the little sticky things that covered my indoor basil plant last year and made the leaves inedible. Neem Oil is safe to take internally and is often prescribed by alternative therapists to be taken this way so just rinse any peppers before you eat them and you'll be fine. I'd much rather use a natural product than to spray chemicals about. It has solved the problem (as yet!) on my basil plant so I'm hoping it will do the same with my pepper plants. I'll keep you posted!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”