pepper4
Green Thumb

Bush beans

Was reading some of the posts about bush beans. It got me alittle concerned. I planted seed 8 days ago and have not seen any sign of growth. The weather has been a bit irratic here. Last week-end 80 and dropped to 50's and 60's with rain off and on for the past few days. I did go out today and moved the dirt alittle and saw the seed was starting to get a small root forming. Got concerned because so many said they germinate fast and some saw growth within a few days. I also read you should soak the seeds in water for a hour before planting. Something else I didn't do. Is that necessary? Maybe I am being too paranoid or anxious but I just wanted to check and see what you thought. :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

In warm places like where I am, bush beans are hardy. They grow in the crappiest soil, drought and generally the worst conditions there are according to what local farmers told me. That was also my experience with them last year. I dug up an area that had never been anything but weedy grass. The soil was un-augmented sand and we were in drought conditions.. The bush beans grew like crazy there. I think you'll be fine after it warms up. FWIW we did plant them as part of our second crop in July.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Patience! They will come up.

2cents
Green Thumb

Patience

chefshelle

I agree, they'll come up. I have never soaked them and they do just fine!

pepper4
Green Thumb

Patience.. You guys were right :D Went out today and saw about 8 sprouts coming up. :wink: I guess I am alittle impatient but more so I am afraid of doing something wrong. :roll: :oops:

2cents
Green Thumb

:clap: :mrgreen:
We knew you would do it!!!
from a fellow Zip and Buckeye

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK. Now keep a close eye on them for insect damage. Certain six legged critters sure like to eat them.

pepper4
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:OK. Now keep a close eye on them for insect damage. Certain six legged critters sure like to eat them.

What do I do in the event this happens or to prevent it :?: :roll:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”