Earl K
Green Thumb

Pole bean question?

I have recently planted some Kentucky Wonder pole beans from seed for the first time. They are now in the raised bed I made for them. They are now starting to vine up the fence intended to grow up. My question is that the vines are twisting around each other,will this be ok in the long run.Any advice would be great,thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

They will twist around looking for vertical structure to cling to (having little use for horizontal support, hence the name. Consider it a growing suggestion). If the verticals are more bean than pole, they will climb those, and no, it shouldn't hurt them...

HG

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks THG, All of your advice is much appreciated and much needed for all of us first timers.Just so happy to see the progress of every plant every day.What a wonderfull place to get all the answers one could ask for.Thanks again. Earl K

2cents
Green Thumb

too many beans on one pole or string can squeeze off a few buds and make it hard for pollinator to get to a few buds(leaves and stem cover right up to the flower).
Since beans are so prolific, I don't worry about it.
The neighbor is constantly training his pole beans to climb for maximum production. If that is your situation, then next time plent them further apart and put in more structure for them to climb on.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks for your advice.There are only 15 plants so there shouldnt be too much of a problem.I don't have any structure for them to climb except the board on board fence.I also ran some twine horizontal about every foot,I guess I should have made a suitable (structure) for them to climb.We'll see what happens.

2cents
Green Thumb

They will grab onto that twine very nicely.
Some verticle twine laced on the horizontals helps.

I am not sure what type of fence you have, I hope it doesn't block the sun.

These KY Wonders are climbers, I've seen 10' or more. How high of a structure/poles/fence do you have?

Good luck, they will taste terrific.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”