kylie77

What's going on with my leeks?

I bought some leek seedlings a week ago. I don't know what it is with them but they looked great when I got them, but have been droopy ever since. I've been hardening off my plants so have put them outside for short amounts of time. They droop so so quickly. Then I bring them in and they perk up, but still don't look as good as when I first bought them. Am I giving them too much water? Not enough water? Is it too cold? They're in my kitchen normally and it's not at all cold in there. I've never tried growing leeks, but are they just super picky? My dh has said just to plant them outside since our last frost is may 1st. He thinks we should just stick them out and see what happens. I think they'll die since they can't cope with more than a few mins outside. I'm about ready to give up on having leeks this year. I'm so frusterated with them :(.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I have had problems with leeks as well, only I started mine from seed. The leek seedlings are tiny, and don't seem to grow much at all. Mine are a little droopy as well....maybe once I get them in the garden they will do better. If you have your leeks in small containers, the roots probably have no where to go. If they are droopy and are yellow there is a problem, if they are droopy and green, you might have just over-watered them. This is my first time growing leeks as well, I think I will just plant them outside when the time is right and see what happens. A lot of my plants drop when I expose them to natural sunlight too, because they are simply not use to that much light, you need to gradually increase the time they are outside, first day half an hour, second day and hour....etc for about a two week period. Hope this helps :)

kylie77

Thanks. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with leeks! Most of the other things I'm growing are doing great! My cucumbers are not looking great for some reason and I can't figure out why although they do seem a little perkier today. For some reason the spinach I started inside has not worked. I don't know what happened there either, but the stuff outside is doing just fine. Strange! But the leeks are just a pain! lol They were in tiny containers when I bought them but I moved them to bigger ones so they have about 3 times the space they did have. So that can't really be the problem. They are droopy and green although there are a couple of tiny dried up ones. The rest are definately green. They just droop. I've been only giving them a very short time outside. Today they were out for 20 mins. There was no wind, they were sitting in a bigger container just in case. The sky was partly cloudy so not much sun at all. I just don't get it! It wasn't hot, but was about 17c so not cold either. The other plants did just great! They're definately getting used to it now and were out for a several hours with no negative effects. After the 20 mins though they had completely dropped. The green had hardly any life left in it :(. This is what happens each time they go out. They're perking up now although not yet standing straight up. Usually by the morning they're much much better, but it happens agian as soon as I put them out. I can't not put them out since they have to harden off. I thought they'd be easy to care for, but I guess I was mistaken! lol

Burnet

Do you have a whole bunch of them?

If you have some to spare, then I'd put five or ten in the ground, planting them really deep so that there's barely any green sticking up. Then wait a couple of days and see if they die as expected, or if what they really wanted was to be planted.

Burnet

kylie77

Yes I do have quite a few. That's a good idea to plant some out and see what happens. I think I'll do that. If they die, I'll know to wait! I had no idea you're supposed to plant them THAT deep! Thanks

Burnet

You might want to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees with me on the deepness. :) I just know that that's how deep I plant 'em.

Burnet

James282
Cool Member

Larger types of leeks require a pretty sandy soil. They also need to be planted deeply...what you are seeing as them falling over could be due to them wanting some support.

James

kylie77

great thanks for your help! I hope that's the problem and they just need more support.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”