kissygoose

Vegies in containers

I'm unable to do the raised beds I wanted this year so I figured I'd just do containers and set them where I would have put the raised beds. Is there anything I shouldn't plant in containers other than corn?

Is this a real bad plan?

kylie77

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't know what you can't plant in a container. As long as it's big enough I would think you could plant just about anything.

Oh and I'm going to be doing some corn in containers, I've read it does well in them. Is there a reason it's not good for containers?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. It focuses on veggies, herbs, and fruits that will thrive in containers and gives specific instructions on the size of containers for the individual plants.

McGee & Stuckey also suggest some groupings of plants in the same container for succession gardening, as well as some for looks and/or cooking convenience.

I first saw it at my local library and then purchased my own copy later, after I decided it was a very useful book.

Best wishes for successful container gardening this year! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think there's much of anything that can't be grown in containers, as long as you choose containers that offer sufficient depth and breadth to allow proper root development. (Can you tell I love gardening in containers? :lol: )

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The task of growing plants in containers is likely much easier in Oregon than in S.C. Transpiration and evaporation are so high during the summer that my containers often need to be watered both mornings and afternoons. With the number of containers and raised beds we have, that becomes quite a chore during the hot summer months. This year I'm beginning to install drip irrigation to help ease the watering chore and to provide the plants will a more even supply of moisture. But with so many containers in so many locations, constructing a reasonable water supply system presents its own set of challenges.

Still, the wife and I continue to love container gardening, and would rank it as perhaps the most rewarding part of our gardening activities.

kissygoose

I've actually looked for that book but our library or surrounding ones don't have it. I'm not even sure I can get it from interlibrary loan but I'm going to look. Gonna have to find that book.

I didn't think you could do corn in containers. I think it might have been something I read but who knows where. It would be cool if I could do it too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The thing about containers is that plants in containers dry out much faster than in the ground, so as alex mentioned, plan on watering A LOT. Also, corn takes up pretty much room. Planted in rows, corn plants are spaced at least 6" apart in rows at least 20" apart. Assuming that you can enrich the soil in a container like mad, maybe you could crowd 8 plants in a 12 X 12" container, each of which will produce 1 -2 ears.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”