Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

children and gardening

My wife and I weren't blessed with children. today the neighbor giels 9 and 13 came over and helped up put paper and clippings between the rows in our back garden. They [kids] are really handy things. I'm in favor of kids in my garden. :)

LittleBee

I love it when the kids help out in my garden. My 6 year old and 2 year old love to help out. But the little ones also like to step on my new plants when I'm not looking! :shock:

kylie77

Awe how sweet! My children are a big part of the reason I'm getting into gardening. I want to teach them healthy habits food wise. They eat healthy, but I thought letting them watch the plants grow and get to be involved in it all was great for them. I'm also hoping I'll have extra so we can make some trips to the food bank and give away our surplus. I definately think it's great for kids to be involved in it all. With any luck they'll want to grow some veg when they're adults too!

RosieRenee

I agree with you all. What could be more fun for a kid than dirt, water and the chance to help in all that?

Each year my girls pick out a veggie to grow. Last year we grew pickles (cukes and dill) and eggplant. This year they chose brussel sprouts and artichoke hearts, which are now sprouting.

If you grow cherry tomatoes (we love SunGold) and vine peas, you will attract all the kids you'll ever want as they harvest and munch.

It's also fun to let the kids plant an area or a container with easy-growing flowers (nasturtiums, zinnias, etc.) and let them pick flowers for bouquets all summer long.

Can't wait!

kylie77

My boys just love digging for worms, although I'm sure to tell them not to harm them! lol They also have their own yellow zucchini plant each. When they chose those I had no idea how great a choice it was until they started growing. It's amazing how fast they've grown! Of course my kids think it's because they talk to them and tell them to grow! lol

We have an open backyard and last year grew peas which drew kids from all around! They would pop over to check out the peas all the time, and once they were ready to eat, everyone had some. I didn't mind a bit!

chefshelle

My kids are a big help in the garden...8, 9, 12, 15...okay, not the 15 year old as much!

Last year, my 12 year old son REALLY wanted a job. We came up with the idea of him selling vegetables from the garden. Who wouldn't want to buy fresh vegetables from a cute boy?

So this year, we are stepping it up a notch. Jack has made his own lasagna garden. It looks INCREDIBLE! He has done all of the work himself, including gravel walkways. He has already planted beans, peppers & corn. Next will be zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes & cucumbers.

Jack also knows how to can just about anything. He is in training to be the perfect husband!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

chefshelle wrote:
Last year, my 12 year old son REALLY wanted a job. ... Jack has made his own lasagna garden. It looks INCREDIBLE! He has done all of the work himself, including gravel walkways. He has already planted beans, peppers & corn. Next will be zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes & cucumbers.

Jack also knows how to can just about anything. He is in training to be the perfect husband!
I don't know about "perfect husband"; he could also be in training to be a great chef or botanist or agronomist or ...

One thing's for sure: his self-confidence and maturity will benefit from taking on these responsibilities at his age.

And that's great training for becoming ... an adult! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”