Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Lettuce question

I was reading the thread below about buttercrunch lettuce, but didn't want to threadjack. I've never had good luck with lettuce. By the time the ground is dry enough to be worked here, the weather gets hot within about 5 or 6 weeks, and the lettuce bolts.

I was wondering if lettuce would grow in shade? I'd be growing it in a container, so I could move it into the shade when the weather starts to get really warm, or is that a really nutty idea? :?:

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Try Paris Cos, its very heat tolerant. Also Oakleaf Leaf Lettuce is very very good and its pretty heat tolerant. Yeah you can move it into the shade...it does need some sun though.

[url]https://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2623&bhcd2=1240638602[/url]

Burnet

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but what if you worked the lettuce patch before winter started, so that in early spring you wouldn't have to work it, and could instead just gouge tiny depressions and plant lettuce seeds? (Probably pelleted lettuce seeds, for precise placement.)

Or, yeah, some shade seems reasonable. I believe that you can buy shade cloth to shade in-ground lettuce.

Burnet

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow my cold weather stuff (lettuce, spinach, chard) in a bed that gets morning sun, but shade part of the afternoon. Slows them down a little getting started, but they appreciate it when it gets hot.

Faythe

Yes, some shade will help keep your lettuce cool and prevent it from bolting as quickly. If you're growing it in a pot you could move it to a partly shady location when the weather heats up; if in the ground you could use shadecloth or some other portable shading material. You might also keep an eye out for lettuce varieties that are bolt-resistant. I have had some luck with some oak-leaf varieties. You could also try growing lettuce in the fall. I tried 'Winter Density" one fall, and that worked out really well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”