kylie77

Please can I ask for some help with my veg garden planning?

Ok I've been reading as much as I can, and learning as much as I can. I just can't seem to figure this all out. I have very limited space so need to make the most of it. I also have big plans for what I want to fit in my space. I will be experimenting with things to see what will grow where etc... If anyone is willing to help me out I would love you forever!

Ok so here's my list of things to plant, many have been started inside. I have strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, garlic, carrots, and some peas outside in containers so far. I have also planted one small row of spinach out front, and 3 small rows of carrots. These are the ones to go out eventually. Last frost isn't till may1.

Snap peas
Peas
Jalapeno peppers,
Chili peppers,
Mini bell peppers,
green onions (plan to put these in a box along the deck side)
Yellow zucchini
Russian cucumber,
Muncher cucumber
several types of tomatoes mostly cherry and brandywine but we picked up a couple bigger plants yesterday as well.
A few herbs(not worried about where to put these as I have boxes for them, or they can go in the top of an upsidedown container)
leeks
Cantaloupe

Ok, so I have 2 gardens out front that get full sun. We had tomtoes grow like mad last year in one spot. The bigger of the 2 is aprox 3 feet by 7 feet. Then I have a 3-4 foot by 2 foot aprox. I will be putting as many containers as I can fit on my porch as well as hanging ones.

In the back of the house we don't get nearly as much sun (north facing). We did grow lots of beans, peas, and some carrots last year though without a prob. I know the conditions won't be ideal, but we want to use the space we have anyway. The back gets 4-5h of sun each day. I have 2 gardens right now out back, but may add a third if I'm allowed (strata!). The gardens are aprox 3feet by 5 feet, and the other one is about 2.5 feet by 4 feet. We will have a ton of containers on the deck and boxes along the deck sides as well. We have an unlimited supply of 3 gal buckets, but I'm not sure what will be ok in these and what needs to have bigger containers. Could peppers manage in a 3 gal one? We can get 5gal ones, but will be much more difficult. I have 3 at the moment.

PLEASE HELP! I can't figure out where to put all the stuff I have! I read in one place this should go with that, and needs these conditions and this size container. Then I read something completely different somewhere else. Honestly I've tried to map out where things will go a bunch of times, and end up scratching it because I read somethig I didn't know and it messed it all up. I know I'll be told to read this book or that book, or this link or whatever. But you have no idea how much reading I've been doing! I've got books from the library, and am looking things up online several hours a day. I just feel a bit lost!

Thanks to anyone who got this far!

applestar
Mod

I think the plant spacing guides give a clue to the size of pots they need. Out of your lists, the plants I would put in 3 gal pots would be the peas and green onions. Some of the herbs probably but I'd have to know what they are.

But... look here https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html
for the two Root Development books by Weaver/Bruner and Weaver. It's a wonder anything grows in containers at all! :shock: 8)

*give credit where it's due :wink: I found this link while searching for "root systems and development" at https://tinyfarmblog.com/exploring-down-below/

kylie77

Thanks for the great links. I'll have a good look through and see what I can learn!

I sure hope I can find enough space, and containers for all my plants!

kylie77

I double checked the size of the containers I have. The smaller ones are just about 4 gal, and the bigger ones are 6 gal. So a bit bigger than I had thought. I think anything that can't fit in the gardens will just end up in whatever containers I can find even if it's just the 4gal ones.

Have to say though that I've never been this excited for spring! I just want it to hurry up and warm up so I can plant my stuff! lol

chefshelle

I think your biggest problem is going to be having the space for your vegetables that grow on a vine, like the zucchini. I think the peppers would do just fine in the buckets.

kylie77

Yes I think that's going to be my challenge as well. My plan is to have them grow up rather than on the ground. I've read that you can make a TP like structure and train them to grow up that. I definately don't have room for them all to grow along the ground that's for sure.

It's all an experiment, so we'll see how it goes! I am worried about there not being enough sun in the back, but I can move the containers around to chase the sun! We did have corn, beans, peas, brocolli, cauliflower, radishes, and carrots all grow fine last year in the back. I just hope I can find enough room in the front for all my peppers, tomatoes, and cantaloupe. I think the rest will end up in the back. It sure is hard to figure it all out though!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”