The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's about twenty bucks (a little more than the fork) and it can't do cracks as the circular head wouldn't fit (so don't lose the asparagus fork), but it is WAY faster in open lawn, and it is kinda fun...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I know we must have had some discussions around here about why not to use Round up, but I couldn't actually find much. So I'm attaching this to this thread, because it had the most information on the topic.

Just thought interested people might want to see this:

https://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_21645.cfm

research linking glyphosate to birth defects in humans and animals.

The lab research was done with "doses far lower than those used in agricultural spraying and well below maximum residue levels in products presently approved in the European Union. "

the lab research was triggered by findings of increased levels of birth defects in humans when glyphosate spraying was initiated.

"reports of high rates of birth defects in rural areas of Argentina where Monsanto's genetically modified "Roundup Ready" (RR) soybeans are grown in large monocultures sprayed from airplanes regularly. RR soy is engineered to tolerate Roundup, allowing farmers to spray the herbicide liberally to kill weeds while the crop is growing."

soil
Greener Thumb

What do you suggest I do with my dandelion problem. I mow my neighbor's yard (he is disabled) and he cannot afford to treat his lawn, so his dandelions are spreading all over my yard. I am allergic to bees... and I love that they do thier jobs, but when they are under my feet when I walk, I really fear that one is going to get me when I am walking! This happened to me once before... How do I treat the danadelions, yet keep the yard "safe" for my dog? Any specific product?
if he doesnt treat his yard with chemicals and its not downhill from your lawn. you can eat them and use them. they are very nutritious and have medicinal properties. cut the blooms as soon as you see them and eat them too, or make dandelion wine. cut the young leaves and steam them before eating or toss in some soup.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”